Work placement at library

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Creative
Super poster

Work placement at library

Post by Creative »

I have started a work placement at my local library and I'm getting on well.
gherkin001
Super poster

Re: Work placement at library

Post by gherkin001 »

Thats good to hear, keep us posted...

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

Nice to hear. All those books to look at and read, pure pleasure :grin: (I love books!)
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Post by Lady Fluff »

Good for you - library's are fantastic places - never thought I'd be any good working in one though, what with my tendency to talk much louder than I think I am! They'd be telling me to shhh, not the customers, LOL!
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

So far I have mainly just reshelved the books. I am slowly learning the counter work I think it will take me a long time to learn how to do all the different things.

The placement is through an organisation called Remploy. The person I see from there is ok, but I'm not that keen on him. He is pushy and wants me to do more hours so I said I would try an extra hour next week.

The Manager at the library is really helpful. He explains things really well and is patient if I find something difficult. I'm really enjoying it!
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I'm still enjoying it but I'm a bit bored with reshelving. It has been really busy because of the school holidays and I haven't been able to learn the counter work. I should get more practise now the children are going back to school.

My job coach kept pressurising me to do more hours and was very brief when he visited me. But last week he spend 45 mins chatting about how things were going. I hope this continues!
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

Well it didn't continue.He is pressurising and not very understanding again. I think that training providers have a lot of work to do in improving the quality of their services! If I could already work loads of ours I wouldn't need to be on the Work Preperation programme in the first place!
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

My local library is moving in November. Unfortunately for me they may not take volunteers. I hope this dosen't happen as I have got a lot out of doing the placement. I donn't feel ready to get a job there yet but I might do if I can volunteer their longer.
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I've finished my 12 week work plcement now. I can volunteer there for 3 more weeks before they move to the new library.
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I have been volunteering at the library for a year now. I mainly re-shelve books or I send books back to other libaries.
I have got a lot better at helping customers and I'm much more confident. Helping customers is the most difficult thing for me to do. As I'm a volunteer then I haven't had any training and people are always asking me things I don't know. Some things I now have learnt and I can help people but there is still a lot I don't know.