Help With Memory Issues?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

The Lurker
Power poster

Help With Memory Issues?

Post by The Lurker »

Do memory issues affect your ability to do your job? What do you do to overcome this? What help or aids do you get for this if any?
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Memory issues do affect my job. To ovecome this I use the old fashioned pen and paper! To wite everything down.... I also use the calender on outlook express but often forget to check it....
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Where did I put that?
Getting settled in

Post by Where did I put that? »

My poor memory is probably the most impractical thing I could have with my job. Never a dull moment though! I do a lot of different things.

Write everything down.
Keep a diary.
Have copies of stuff at work and at home.
I have things like items of clothing, food and other important things stashed in my desk at work in caes I forget them.
I have to look at the photos in the students files so that I can put a name to a face.
I sometimes use the alarm on my mobile to remind me about meetings.
I get some work stuff ready the night before so I don't forget too much in the morning.

Can't think of anything else (probably forgot lots of things! :lol: ) but those are probably the main things. I guess you just have to make sure you are prepared beforehand.
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream!"
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

Write everything down.

My boss is quite good as he can I see I am writing as I speak, so he pauses to let me finish.
tompete123
Getting settled in

Re:

Post by tompete123 »

I am same I write everything down on outlook express Calendar also I set up reminders on my mobile phone and write notes for myself which I carry in my pocket with my wallet. So when I get my wallet out I see the note and inevitable check to see if theres arnything important written on it.....bingo.....my reminder
The Lurker
Power poster

Post by The Lurker »

Where did I put that? wrote:My poor memory is probably the most impractical thing I could have with my job. Never a dull moment though! I do a lot of different things.

Write everything down.
Keep a diary.
Have copies of stuff at work and at home.
I have things like items of clothing, food and other important things stashed in my desk at work in caes I forget them.
I have to look at the photos in the students files so that I can put a name to a face.
I sometimes use the alarm on my mobile to remind me about meetings.
I get some work stuff ready the night before so I don't forget too much in the morning.

Can't think of anything else (probably forgot lots of things! :lol: ) but those are probably the main things. I guess you just have to make sure you are prepared beforehand.
IIRC ;) you are a lecturer. I do lecturing/training in a voluntary capacity and I am dreadful for remembering my students names :D I probably also refer to my crib notes more than some trainers.
The Lurker
Power poster

Re:

Post by The Lurker »

tompete123 wrote:I am same I write everything down on outlook express Calendar also I set up reminders on my mobile phone and write notes for myself which I carry in my pocket with my wallet. So when I get my wallet out I see the note and inevitable check to see if theres arnything important written on it.....bingo.....my reminder
I am also a fan of Outlook :D
tompete123
Getting settled in

Re: Help With Memory Issues?

Post by tompete123 »

I too write everything down and at times write myself a list of tasks that I need to do the next day. I also use Outlook to set myself reminders. Though this isn't foolproof as I need to REMEMBER to check it !!!!
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

I have problems with memory at work and at home too. I usually use a pen and paper. I sometimes put a bit of tape over the papers I use a lot so that they are protected and I can put them in my pocket at work without them getting all messed up over time. Then I can pull out the reminder--"oh, I'm supposed to take my break at this time"--and I'll remember to do it. Also, on my phone I have daily reminders like, "I need to go to work at this time" or "I need to do laundry on this day" sort of things. I hope this helps. Keep putting more tips on because I can always use help too!
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
MarketMan
New member - welcome them!

Post by MarketMan »

To be honest I tried writing things down a few years ago... half the time I cant read my own writing so I use my phone calendar... if I have remembered to charge my phone