Parent support advise

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rifka
New member - welcome them!

Parent support advise

Post by Rifka »

Hello my daughter is 22 she has Dyspraxia and acute anxiety and now depression. She managed to complete her degree this year with a lot of support from the university and myself. She is now living back with us and is very depressed, anxious and low. She won't get any help and she is lashing out at me all the time. She is not talking to me now for the last 10 days she says I don't understand or empathise with depression and anxiety because I don't have those myself. It would be great to get advise about how to support a young adult with Dyspraxia, depression and anxiety. I want to find the best way to support her to take the next steps in her life, I want to just be there for her. I get frustrated that she won't get any help - she is taking beta blockers to help with the anxiety - won't see a therapist, won't do any self care and says that we should just except however she behaves to us. All her life I have tread a fine balance between encouraging her to do things on her own and micro supporting her. Now she is a young adult it feels less clear how to go forward. Thanks
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Parent support advise

Post by Tom fod »

Does she have any contact with other Dyspraxics or has she retreated completely since returning from university?

Making the transition from education/university to finding work and meeting all the expectations that friends and family want for/expect of us is scary and Dyspraxia alone can make is especially hard to develop the necessary confidence in ourselves and also find the things and environment where we can hold our own.

The last few years and current climate will only have added to the pressure. Do you think returning home? after university may have added to her feeling she is alway going to struggle with independent life as an adult?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Re: Parent support advise

Post by ALADDIN »

I graduated from university aged 20 in 1999, pgdip 2000, I have late diagnoses of dyspraxia, ADHD and Aspergers traits.

I am aged 44.

I would reiterate what Tom has said , the transition from education / higher education can be difficult for neuro-diverse people .

I have had a nervous breakdown to get my ADHD detected , early 2020.

I would say , she should exercise , find friends , find others dyspraxic and neuro-diverse people .

Maybe self - employment might suit her or voluntary work

Try to offer her a positive future , it is not easy I know .

It maybe she has undiagnosed ADHD. A psychiatrist will diagnose this fact if she meets the criteria , lashing out, not doing self care .
Anxiety and depression maybe comorbidities of undiagnosed ADHD.
Given the beta blockers have helped with anxiety, she is still not undertaking self care and lashing out , a stronger likelihood of possible undiagnosed ADHD.

There are overlaps between dyspraxia and ADHD.

https://www.additudemag.com/self-test-a ... men-girls/

A screener.

Good luck .