dyspraxia and anxiety disorder

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

dyspraxia and anxiety disorder

Post by ALADDIN »

I have been told I have generalised anxiety disorder.

Everyone gets anxious at least sometimes.

Some people’s anxiety is much more serious .

I think , a substantial or at least a significant percentage of people with dyspraxia have an anxiety disorder.

When people associate dyspraxia with anxiety, the terminology is an anxiety disorder.

Losing routine, can be a result of an anxiety disorder ?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: dyspraxia and anxiety disorder

Post by Tom fod »

I agree, anxiety is all too common for Dyspraxic
/ Neurodivergent folk and has many and varying causes and degrees of severity relative to the individual. Not everyone will recognise and/or feel able to seek help so I'd say the number of incidences of HAD could well be under-reported

Having a routine can help mask it and if that routine breaks down . . .
Equally the anxiety can make it difficult or impossible to maintain any kind of routine .
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Joe Suarez
New member - welcome them!

Re: dyspraxia and anxiety disorder

Post by Joe Suarez »

Yes, it is common for individuals with an anxiety disorder to experience difficulties with maintaining routines or adapting to changes in their routines. Anxiety can cause a heightened sense of worry and fear, which can make it difficult for individuals to feel in control and confident in their ability to manage daily tasks and responsibilities. This can lead to avoidance behaviors or a tendency to stick rigidly to a routine, which can be challenging to maintain in situations where changes are necessary. It is important for individuals with anxiety disorders to seek support from a mental health professional to learn coping strategies and techniques to manage their symptoms and improve their overall quality of life.