Hi I was diagnosed with dyspraxia in 2017. I’m a priest in the Church of England

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rev Mich
New member - welcome them!

Hi I was diagnosed with dyspraxia in 2017. I’m a priest in the Church of England

Post by Rev Mich »

Hi so happy to have found this site ☺️ I was diagnosed with dyspraxia in 2003 then again in 2017 (long story). I am a priest in the Church of England and absolutely love what I do. That said the training pathway was horrendous to begin with, mainly due to lack of info and awareness during.

I’m finally starting to figure out a way forward now
my training is completed. But I’ve found with a massive recent transition and no mentor support it’s really
knocked my confidence and my stress levels are through the roof. I’d be grateful of any tips or advice on how to manage work place stress and if we are entitled to ask for reasonable adjustments. Thanks so much
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hi I was diagnosed with dyspraxia in 2017. I’m a priest in the Church of England

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Mich

V pleased in welcome you here.
I'm not sure how management and performance is done within the C of E and I would have hoped it would be more pastoral care oriented? As I understand it you care for your parishioners, but who cares for you?

I believe there is at least one other dyspraxic member of the clergy that I'm aware of in a FB Group I'm a member of. Happy if you want to private message me for more info in this regard.

I'm not a member of the clergy but assume you have to be very organised to keep up with the many responsibilities that go far beyond a few hours of public speaking on a Sunday!

Keeping up with all that can be tiring for us and the fear of not getting it right/it going wrong and ourselves getting the blame is paralysing/scary and can really shake our faith in ourselves.

Anyway enough of my rabbiting on!

P.S.after Googling Dyspraxic AND Vicar I learned one of Justin Welby's daughters is dyspraxic
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-44688094.amp

and a couple of other potential results that may be of interest if you want to try it yourself.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)