Video games

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Video games

Post by FrankieSoup »

So, what do you all play - if anything?

I’m a lover of rpgs and people keep recommending Elden Ring to me, which is cool, and I love the world of it, but also there’s no difficulty options so I don’t have enough coordination to not die every two seconds by impaling myself on something.

I’m a huge fan of Mass Effect and Stardew Valley, and I’m keen to find some kind of SCART to 21st century adaptor to play Dreamcast again… would love to hear what you guys play.
Mirak
New member - welcome them!

Re: Video games

Post by Mirak »

RPGs are my favorite genre of game. On the PC I play The Elder Scrolls Online from time to time, depending on whether I feel like subscribing or not. Runes of Magic is a great F2P game that doesn't require too much coordination. It's really great if you like crafting. The only downside is it pretty quickly becomes a game where you need to party up. I've gotten to around level 15 solo but man is that cave a bear.

I haven't played these in a couple of years but check out Divinity II and the Divinity: Original Sin franchise. I found the Elder Scrolls series to be a bit tough to play because A) I had trouble finding my way around and B) some spots require reflexes I don't really have. But if you can get them for a good price they're worth trying anyway.

Do you game on an Android phone? Do you like grinding levels, especially crafting levels? Then give Ancients Reborn a whirl. It's totally F2P and it's made by a few folks from the UK.
AlexB

Post by AlexB »

MMO’s, RPG’s and RTS games are some of my favourite genres to play! There are so many games i enjoy but to list a few for single player, mass effect series, stardew valley, Skyrim and Halo wars 2. As for multiplayer and closer to the MMO aspect I am a big fan of Destiny 2 and a F2P pc game called Guild Wars 2 - this is one if my most played games out there as its both an MMO with a heavy RPG element and the community is super helpful and friendly!
Mirak

Post by Mirak »

I haven't played Guild Wars 2 in a dog's age. That's another fun one. Is it F2P now or still B2P? I was an expansion or 2 behind a few years ago. I don't know if there have been any more released since then.
HoidWasHere

Post by HoidWasHere »

I used to be really anxious about how my motorics affected my gaming. amongst my school friends, as a young kid, I knew I was just less good than everyone else and the self concuisness about that in the team games we played made me stick to my comfort zones and mostly play turn based games or one with pausing available, like Dragon Age. but in recent years i've been coming out of my shell and playing more ambiotious things, and actually its not only fun but like, as nervous as failure can make me feel, succeeding in co-ordination related games actually increased my motorical confidence a lot. Never felt cooler than the day I moved from playing star wars squadron on Accesibility Story Mode to Normal, or won my first online match in it! I would feel hesitant about something like Elden Ring though, Yeah. If only because Souls-Style games are built and designed on an assumption of "Players will experience Repeated frustration attempts which will cause them to get better and better over time and eventually learn to beat a battle by grinding at it", and. Skill Aquisition like that Works Differently for dyspraxic people some time. so its kind of built around someone else. but i'm sure if you wantto- and especially if you have friends to help you with multiplayer mode, or are willing to do open world exploring instead of grinding when stuck- you could play and enjoy Elden Ring.
Auron
Power poster

Post by Auron »

JRPGs, Story based games strategy-based games.

I am—or at least I was—a heavy gamer.

One game I play against the curve is Tekken; it is everything a dyspraxic person is bad at; accuracy, reactions, speed, and quick decisions, precise consistent input.

I'm quite good. If I'm honest I do feel the "ceiling"; for someone who has dedicated as much time to it as I have, I should be better than I am, but reaction checks, accuracy checks, and needing errorfree gameplay hold me back, however, in true dyspraxic spirit I feel like keeping it up is very good practice for me.
It's good practice in how challenging your weaker attributes is a great habit (for anyone, let alone someone with a condition like dispraxia).
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

Mirak wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:47 am RPGs are my favorite genre of game. On the PC I play The Elder Scrolls Online from time to time, depending on whether I feel like subscribing or not. Runes of Magic is a great F2P game that doesn't require too much coordination. It's really great if you like crafting. The only downside is it pretty quickly becomes a game where you need to party up. I've gotten to around level 15 solo but man is that cave a bear.

I haven't played these in a couple of years but check out Divinity II and the Divinity: Original Sin franchise. I found the Elder Scrolls series to be a bit tough to play because A) I had trouble finding my way around and B) some spots require reflexes I don't really have. But if you can get them for a good price they're worth trying anyway.

Do you game on an Android phone? Do you like grinding levels, especially crafting levels? Then give Ancients Reborn a whirl. It's totally F2P and it's made by a few folks from the UK.
I LOVE Divinity: Original Sin! SOOOOOO good!
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

as for myself I played a bit of
World of Warcraft: up until just after Wrath of the Lich King back in the 2007 - 2010 era then a guild that was going strong decided to disband, still play as private server on occassions,
Power Wash Simulator: as relaxing, just rubbish at the timed or water usage trophies.
Euro Truck Simulator 2: as it too is also relaxing, and a good game with friends.
American Truck Simulator: same reason but for a change from playing ETS2, plus parking bays are more of a challenge or were last time I played ETS2 or ATS.
Farming Simulator with friends online
Golf It: not too good at, but play it with friends, ends up a bit like Flog It in my playing style.
used to play Grand Theft Auto online with friends, and also playing it as RPG, but due to problems caused by one person that went belly up.
apart from that is things like sudoku online, and cards like spider online (no gambling).
Wunderan

Post by Wunderan »

I'm all about RPGs, too! Mass Effect is an absolute classic, and Stardew Valley offers such a relaxing gaming experience.
Regarding Elden Ring, it's a fantastic game, but I am totally concerned about its difficulty. It can be a real challenge! If you're up for a different RPG experience, you might want to check out The Witcher series. It's got a captivating world and storyline.
And speaking of gaming, I've been diving into Counter Strike 2 lately. While it's not an RPG, the intense gameplay and the world of CS2 skins have kept me hooked.
timeless

Post by timeless »

I'm also into RPGs but sometimes find them too harsh. I've been looking for new games and found an excellent site called Techjeux. They've got loads of games for Android, PC, and Xbox. It's been great for finding new stuff to play.

One game I like right now is "Darkness Rises". It's an action RPG you can play on your phone, and it's got amazing graphics that make it feel like you're playing on a console. You can choose from different types of characters, like powerful fighters or magic users, and then fight against loads of monsters. It's enjoyable, especially with all the other moves you can do and big bosses to beat.
Last edited by timeless on Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaZero

Post by OmegaZero »

Love RPGs too, oddly I don't really struggle with games like Elden Ring. The souls games are actually some of my favourites. I struggle more with stuff like fighting games and MOBAs, too much to keep track of I find.
timeless

Post by timeless »

One game I like right now is "Darkness Rises." It's an action RPG you can play on your phone, and it's got amazing graphics that make it feel like you're playing on a console. You can choose from different types of characters, like powerful fighters or magic users, and then fight against loads of monsters. It's enjoyable, especially with all the other moves you can do and big bosses to beat.
Davie232
Getting settled in

Post by Davie232 »

I do love a good RPG myself from time to time (Final Fantasy VI). I also adore Metriodvanias. Cyube for the PlayStation VR2 is coming this Saturday, and I'm looking forward to playing it. The Stardrew Valley 1.6 update is also coming on the 19th of this month. Next month, Stella Blade will be out for the PS5, so gaming life is good right now, haha.
Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times......suppose one day, it lands on its edge. (Said by Kain in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2)
steklarbones

Post by steklarbones »

Your gaming tastes are awesome! I get the struggle with Elden Ring's difficulty - coordination can be a pain sometimes. Mass Effect and Stardew Valley are classics, and Dreamcast nostalgia hits differently.