Dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

_chloe_
New member - welcome them!

Dyspraxia

Post by _chloe_ »

Hi
This is my first post. I have been diagnosed with dyspraxia since I was around 6-7 years old. I never really cared as a kid about how it affected me and what I done. I considered it normal and didn't really understand it until the age of like 15. I always struggled with sports and my coordination and spacial awareness, still do. However as I have grown older, I have started noticing how much harder things are. or seem to be getting harder. I feel in some way i have either got better with my coordination or maybe outgrown the worst of it? obviously I still struggle. Just wondering if anyone else experiences some of these:
-feeling like your stuck in like a small box, kind of like a claustrophobic feeling but not? never being able to find a comfortable seating position.
- struggle with processing information and remembering stuff (I struggle a lot with this, feel like it has got worse overtime) are there any tips on this.
I have tried writing notes but i always seem to forget about the notes too.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

_chloe_ wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:24 pm Hi
This is my first post. I have been diagnosed with dyspraxia since I was around 6-7 years old. I never really cared as a kid about how it affected me and what I done. I considered it normal and didn't really understand it until the age of like 15. I always struggled with sports and my coordination and spacial awareness, still do. However as I have grown older, I have started noticing how much harder things are. or seem to be getting harder. I feel in some way i have either got better with my coordination or maybe outgrown the worst of it? obviously I still struggle. Just wondering if anyone else experiences some of these:
-feeling like your stuck in like a small box, kind of like a claustrophobic feeling but not? never being able to find a comfortable seating position.
- struggle with processing information and remembering stuff (I struggle a lot with this, feel like it has got worse overtime) are there any tips on this.
I have tried writing notes but i always seem to forget about the notes too.

Hi Chloe
Welcome and glad you've found us!

In some ways school can be easier (as long as you escape the worst of any bullying!) It's more regimented and it's often easier to know what is expected of us. Once we get into adulthood it can all become a lot less obvious and it's all down to us. We often feel even more afraid to admit we need or even to ask for help for fear of how this might be viewed/ the anticipated response. We may have left school with reasonable coping strategies but our new environment/the imposition of change can sometimes render these coping strategies obsolete.

The more stressed/overwhelmed we feel the less our capacity for absorbing and processing information.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
-emily-
New member - welcome them!

Post by -emily- »

I have been diagnosed with dyspraxia since I was 7, and actually only know am I realising to the full extent it affects my life. For example yesterday I left my phone on the bus. I couldn’t remember whether I’d put in my bag, put it in my pocket and it had fallen out or if I’d left on the seat. I was lucky it was found by the bus driver. This is a common occurrence, I can never find anything.

It is different when at school but I was let down by mine. I also have autism and the combination of the 2 meant my processing and memory skills are abysmal, did I get help no. I just had lots of unfinished notes because I could only remember three letters at maximum unless it was a small word, sometimes only one. It’s claustrophobic. Like I’m expected to work like others but I can’t keep up.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Hi Chloe.

I don’t think you’re alone in the things you describe. I think sometimes as adults we’re both consciously and unconsciously masking our symptoms or difficulties.

Looking back on my adolescence, I think I was trying very hard to fit in… and not succeeding. As a result I was not very happy, didn’t really like myself and was basically depressed.

It wasn’t until I basically stopped giving a crap about what other people think, and got on with things the way I needed to that I began feeling comfortable within my own skin.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: