Advice for starting a new job

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MilkyMan7
New member - welcome them!

Advice for starting a new job

Post by MilkyMan7 »

Hi, I'm 24, and I'm an IT Technician. I'm about to start a new job.

In my last job I struggled in some areas with personal organisation, time management and communication with people when they want something from me or when I'm under pressure. I'm ok with casual conversation, but I sometimes find conversation about what they want harder to understand and when I have to explain things to them this can be a very laboured process for me, and I've had feedback before that my explanations are sometimes confused and not very clear. I also have a tendency to panic when someone asks me for something, especially if it's new to me or it's a complex issue.

The role is very much customer facing, both in person and in helping to resolve technical issues over the phone. My etiquette and attitude towards people are great, I'm very friendly and polite and try to be helpful. This aspect of my communication is not a problem. It's just the above that's the issue.

Has anyone here experienced issues like this before? And if so does anyone have any advice on handling people/customers better?

Thanks
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Advice for starting a new job

Post by Tom fod »

Hi there and welcome

Sorry for slow reply

I'm not in IT but familiar with trying to explain complex things to demanding customers. My tips would include ways to buy yourself time. I'm sure you know your subject, regrettably not all customers do, they just want a thingamyjig to make their thingamyabob work how they think it should. Some customers have an incorrect sense of how simple that should be and the little bit of knowledge they have can make them more difficult to deal with, especially when they want that thing sooner than possible. The pressure that puts us under while trying to juggle other things can really cause our minds to melt a little (or a lot with some customers). I guess having a ready made cheat sheet or document with prompts of what to ask/say in specific situations might help. Or this could be in a Note or Day Book.

Have you told your new employer about dyspraxia at all? I appreciate not everyone does/wants to, at least not until they have scoped their new boss/colleagues out. I think it is generally a good thing to do, but explaining ourselves and how we work best and asking about/negotiating around reasonable adjustments is generally not an easy conversation.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
MilkyMan7
New member - welcome them!

Post by MilkyMan7 »

Hi Tom

Thanks for replying.
These tips all sound really good, I still have a lot to learn, but I think I know my subject enough to get started.

I have told them about the Dyspraxia, I was very honest about how it affects me from the interview stage. So they understand how it affects me
and they definitely seem willing to make those reasonable adjustments when I need them. I just hope they can communicate this to staff members outside my team, unless that's my job to tell people.

Thanks
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You're v welcome.

The difficulty often comes when you come up against people who are just impatient and very often that is on them not us. We can only try.

The Customer is Not Always Right. Sometimes the Customer is a Twat!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)