APPLICATION!!

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

moleyface1991
Getting settled in

APPLICATION!!

Post by moleyface1991 »

I havent got much work experience but am willing to learn, maybe just two people in an office, who need to type a few letters, emails, make a spreadsheet in excel and write up documents, create a presentation and give it to someone else to read out live. I am more comfortable working on my own as I suffer with dyspraxia and dyslexia but if I had a mate there who could help me out it would be great. I am crap at interviews so a friendly chat would be better, dont ask a lot of me I just need to get out of the crap job im doing at the moment and need to find my new way in life, I can excel with support and actually have really good grades, 10 GCSES A - D grades, 1 Alevel, Diploma in Digital Applications and some others as well. So send me a message if interested in seeing me, I have to walk everywhere because dont drive so SWINDON only, maybe have radio on, create a really great partnership. I look forward to hearing back.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Application

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Chris

I think it would be worth your while casting your net a bit more widely, (but locally in Swindon). I note from previous postings you were/are working in fashion retail? Are you looking at staying in this sector? or moving into something completely different and looking to find, if possible something in a 'back office' capacity?

Personal preferences re job hunting strategies will differ Are you scanning your local newspapers/online for potential new employers with available vacancies or have you yet to make any concerted effort to find a better job. Whilst there is sadly no guarantee of success, proactively sending your CV with a covering letter is at least worth a try. I'm not one for walk-ins either, but dropping in in person to ask about any vacancies and offering them a CV can and does work to put a name to a face. It can also help your confidence by normalising something you'd normally try to avoid doing at all costs.

When talking about the experience you have gained/are gaining in previous current job roles. Try not to burn bridges if you can help it. Moaning too publicly about 'crappy jobs/employers' as this can be interpreted as you being over disrespectful. In certain circumstances a prospective employer might contact your previous employer. Try to put a positive spin on previous roles by talking about the positive impact you made and talk about your desire for a new job with a new employer more in terms of "I'm looking for a new challenge and good prospects for advancement and where I can make a valuable contribution".

When you go for that chat (or interview) be honest about what you struggle with and why, and the strategies you've employed to enable you to do a good job despite the challenges dyslexia and dyspraxia throw up. If possible give some examples of the type and level of support that would enable you to bring your qualities to the fore and make you a valuable asset to their business.

Not being able to drive is quite limiting but commuting as a car share partner can be an option. You do need to have a workable backup plan though. I used to travel around 25 miles as a car sharer but would get buses if my lift providers were sick/had other commitments that meant I needed to make my own way in or home. Now I live nearer and can just hop on the bus.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)