Ball Games

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Yossarian
Getting settled in

Ball Games

Post by Yossarian »

Last night, I experienced a situation that I have not had to deal with since high school. I was at work and we were told that we would be training for physical fitness (due to the nature of this job, it was not optional).

I am very physically active and enjoy running, weight lifting etc. Unfortunately for the first time, we were instructed to play volleyball and a type of basketball. The following hour was filled with a fair amount of embarrassment and frustration. I have never been able to track, catch, control or throw a ball with any degree of accuracy and this made me something of a laughing stock. I dropped balls, missed almost every pass, had trouble balancing myself, bumped into a set of goal posts and banged my head loudly. After that came volleyball which was an unmitigated disaster. I can't say that it was as bad as high school, but I was definitely the object of some angry looks and curt instructions from teammates who were taking the game too seriously.

I have always avoided team sports, preferring more solitary exercises. I do this to avoid the situation that I experienced last night. I can accept some good natured banter and I don't mind being one of the worst players. I just want to blend into the background and avoid embarrassing myself. Does anyone have any tips for ball games? Any advice is appreciated.
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Re: Ball Games

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

I've been advised to "run around and shout a lot while always being inexplicably away from the ball", which works for me.
Also, if given a choice, I usually play defence, where there are always two people and less action :grin:
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.
Yossarian
Getting settled in

Post by Yossarian »

Thanks, Oneclumsydragon. That's all good advice. I think I'll ask for a position in defence next time.
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

Yossarian wrote:Thanks, Oneclumsydragon. That's all good advice. I think I'll ask for a position in defence next time.
No problem! I'm glad my years of experience in that area can be useful ;)
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

This would be a nightmare situation for me too.

My interests and abilities do not extend to this sort of thing either and while I'd try to participate to the best of my ability in a non serious game, the minute people start judging me because I'm not as able, is the minute I start to seethe inside and have to bite my tongue to avoid telling them where I think they should go.

Hiding in the sidelines of defence would be my strategy too
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)