Suitable careers? Please help

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Doctor_Who?
New member - welcome them!

Suitable careers? Please help

Post by Doctor_Who? »

I have been trying to find a job that is right for me. My Dyspraxia means I have bad short term memory, organisation, poor attention to detail, bad hand eye co-ordination and spatial awareness, my hand cramps when I write anything and I can lose track of what I was saying and trail off. I am also over sensitive to heat, cold and touch, especially on my neck.

I have explored everything I can think of. I'm currently a care assistant but I don't enjoy it, and It's a risky job. It's high stress, lots to do and remember and often I can be left alone with 15 people with dementia, and I HATE personal care!

I like being creative, but am not good enough to turn it into a career, but I like writing, animals, creative things, science, nature and helping people. I was recently thinking about going to uni to become a learning disability nurse as It suits me, but with all the paperwork, things to remember and organisation I can imagine needed on the job, I've lost confidence in it.

I can't do desk jobs and I'm bad at maths and it's impossible to count in my head. :Eek: I just feel hopeless and like nothing is suitable.

Any suggestions? Or should I give up. ](*,)
Landskerlad

Re: Suitable careers? Please help

Post by Landskerlad »

Have you ever thought about a Support Worker for Vulnerable Adults?

The job itself isn't difficult, it's getting used to the change that is (it's part of what I am struggling with) - You can potentially use your own experiences to help others, along with having an employer that has a better understanding than most.

Pay isn't the best, but it's rewarding, and for the most part (depending on company) you don't tend to get left with a group of people on your own.
GeekGirl

Post by GeekGirl »

Why can't you do desk jobs out of interest?

I tried practical jobs and I was hopeless so a desk job suits me just fine. I have worked in technology for years and on the side I do creative things but a job in tech can be as creative as you want it to be. I have found it easier to deal with memory issues by writing notes on the computer and setting reminders in my mail client.

I think being a teacher for people with learning difficulties may be something you may want to look into.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I've no doubt there are people here who are as afraid of office work as we are afraid of the challenges we are aware of, or imagine that care work entails.

I've been lucky in that I've not had the fear so much but am aware of the horrors of the MS Orifice suite Excel and Powerpoint and even the Access database, if it still exists anywhere?

Bad experiences with uncaring employers who are unwilling to take the time to understand, grow and get the best from an employee can really badly damage self esteem and determination. And then there is the perpetual catch 22 of where do you go to gain experience if no one is willing to take you on without experience

Not least there is the dreaded interview and paper sift and the difficult question of Do I declare this dyspraxia thing.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
tillybob

Post by tillybob »

Hi, have you any free time besides your work? You could apply for some voluntary work in the area of what you would like to do. There are charitable organisations that are generally run by volunteers, or you could try volunteering for the NHS and see what is available. I have 2 voluntary jobs besides my payed job, and you will find that there are loads more options and opportunities that you can find out through volunteering, and a lot more support than private care sectors. I work in a private care home, but eventually I want to move onto something a bit better where there are more opportunities. My aim is to work for the NHS. I'm still deciding on what I should do (I mean I know what area of care I want to work in, but for now I'm just exploring my options and see what's what and how to go about it). Volunteering gives you valuable skills and will help gain your confidence and build your strengths and a GOOD employer will really value someone who does volunteer and who shows enthusiasm.

Hope I have helped.