Anyone else have low muscle tone and bad back pain?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Woody
New member - welcome them!

Re: Anyone else have low muscle tone and bad back pain?

Post by Woody »

Hi. I've never thought of myself as having low muscle tone, but as I probably have ADHD I've always been quite active / sporty (not team sports - I suck at that). However, I've had back pain since puberty - I'm 60 this year - and my joints are older than their time - I had one hip replacement at 54; I had a discectomy in my 30s. I don't let it stop me doing stuff but my shoulders, wrists, knees and ankles play up also. I didn't know there might be a connection with joint pain and my newly discovered dyspraxia. Is there any research on this anybody knows of?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

welcome and Sorry for tardy response

Some people with Dyspraxia seem to also have Hypermobility Syndrome. Not an expert but seems to be at least anecdotal evidence of related joint problems

Even in UK there doesn’t seem to be great deal of research into this area
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

welcome and Sorry for tardy response

Some people with Dyspraxia seem to also have Hypermobility Syndrome. Not an expert but seems to be at least anecdotal evidence of related joint problems

Even in UK there doesn’t seem to be great deal of research into this area
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Nardeant

Post by Nardeant »

Hi! Even if you cannot train fully due to illness, you still have to exercise the muscles you can get constantly. It would be best if you visited an osteopath who will recommend what exercises you need to do. Also, after consulting with an osteopath, you can [Illegally posted URL removed by admin] to improve muscle tone. But in any case, you need to perform simple physical exercises and visit a massage therapist. If you don't move now and make an effort for yourself, one day, you won't be able to move.
Last edited by Tom fod on Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Advertising without prior permission!
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

Wow. I just found this thread and can really relate to all of it.
I’ve always felt incredibly physically feeble despite consistently trying my best in sports.
My wrists and hands are my weakest joints, though my ankles are pretty terrible. And my left knee. I’m 37, so it’s hardly like I’m past it, but I need thumb splints to do a lot of stuff on bad days (there’s a lady on etsy who does medical grade tested splints that look like rings so people just presume they’re jewellery).
Really relieved to know it might just be part of dyspraxia and not ineptitude tbh.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Some people with Dyspraxia also have joint hypermobility and/or in some cases co-occurring Ehlers Danlos Sydrome (EDS)

If you have a lack of muscle tone and/or poor posture this can also cause musculoskeletal problems
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Auron
Power poster

Post by Auron »

I broke my back in previous years and I have two perpetually bulging discs in my lumbar region.

When I stopped working during lockdown my back became extremely weak and for a spell I was unable to stand up or get out of bed for pain. I learned how crucial it was to keep active.
Kiwings

Post by Kiwings »

Low muscle tone can be a challenge, but there are ways to work on it. Maybe some gentle stretches or low-impact exercises could help. Plus, taking short walks whenever you can manage could be a good start. I used to have frequent back pain too, and I tried all sorts of remedies, but nothing seemed to provide lasting relief. Even exercises only helped me temporarily. However, I saw this article at http://releaf.co.uk/education/medical/p ... -back-pain, and I decided to give medical cannabis a try. Surprisingly, it turned out to be incredibly effective in relieving my pain. Not only did my back pain improve, but I also stopped experiencing joint pain.
RawMe

Post by RawMe »

I have now severe back pain. What can I do with that?
Dball

Post by Dball »

I developed back pain after a sports injury while playing soccer; I twisted awkwardly and felt a sharp pain in my lower back. It lingered for weeks, affecting my daily activities and sleep.

I decided to see a physiotherapist named Justin, who specialized in sports injuries. Over about eight sessions, he helped me through targeted exercises and manual therapy, which significantly improved my condition. We worked on strengthening my back and core, as well as improving my posture and movement patterns.
Last edited by Dball on Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

RawMe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 pm I have now severe back pain. What can I do with that?
Speak to a doctor about your pain and better managing it.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Dball wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:52 pm Haven't heard of any specific research on the connection between joint pain and dyspraxia, but it sounds like something worth digging into.
Som people have other co-occurring health conditions like EDS. For others it could be the inevitable effect of aging and/or consequence of poor posture.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator