annoying doctor

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lumic
Power poster

annoying doctor

Post by Lumic »

i took my son back to the pediaricamn the other day as he had a assesment by the physio and OT they have basically said they wouldnt be surprised if he was dyspraxic as his co ordination is reaaly quite bad. but wen i went to speak to the pediatrican he said it wasnt possible as my son scored in the 34th percentile for drawing which for his age (6) is really good and if he was dyspraxic he wouldnt be able to do that. BUT my son love sdrawing evedyday he makes me pictures colours in, loves making -gluing and sticking things etc etc

what i wanna know is from experiance do any of you guys are good at creative things if you know what i mean... as jus cos he can draw does this mean he cannot have dyspraxia even thou he shows every other classic sign?
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

well reading up about classic symptoms for dyspraxia, then learning to drive is one thing most people are supposed to give up on, but I passed my driving test first time,

so I would say the same about your son's drawings, if he likes, and enjoys something, then it should be encouraged, it might be the same as me and driving.

so don't believe everything someone says, as the degree as which dyspraxia effects someone changes between person to person, there doesn't seem to be a set standard to which we should all be in!

as you will have read on these pages anyway. good luck with finding out the truth
jme
Regular Poster

Post by jme »

my parents have framed some of my drawings and people seem to like them. i also have heaps of scuptures around the place... outside and in. I loved art and doing creative things when i was young. i also have a diagnosed motor problem.

i think motor skills consist of many different things. i have really crap coordination and my gross motor skills are quite dodgy. my fine motor skills aint so bad ( a little slow, but not bad). i loved to draw when i was 6! and my drawings were usually quite good for my age.

There are people with severe cerebral palsy (motor disability) who are brilliant artists. not everybody with poor motor skills can't draw!

so yeah, i agree with you keljohno. i reckon that people who can draw can still have dyspraxia. sometimes professionals just have NFI

...havent been here for a while!
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

"Normal refers to someone who hasn’t had enough tests!"
monkey
Getting settled in

Post by monkey »

i have been diagnoeisd with dyspraxia and i can draw. it takes me a long time. btu my picters are good.
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

I'm very creative, but I can't draw to save my life, but that I guess is a more individual thing.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I am the same as David, I like being creative.... but can't draw to save my life... though funnily enough the family has several proffessional artists... guess which que I was not in when god was making me #-o
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

thanks for your responses so basically the pedatrican has no idea, i got a bit shirty with him actually and said he needed to go look in to dyspraxia as he seemeed to be talking out of his bottom and didnt know a thing, but jus wanted to check what other people with dspraxia can do and if they are creative. thanks again
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

I am not very creative, but I am "really" clumsy and suffer with speech problems, and expression of speech. I never really suffered with school work either, which some people on here do.

I haven't been diagnosed though, although issues I have I find highly correlate with people on here.

You can't make an assessment on someone because of their drawing skills.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I agree. The areas that dyspraxia affects varies so much between individuals that diagnosis on a single ground is simply insufficient. Add balance, memory tests and other commonly encountered difficulties in to the equation, then you'd get a more realistic diagnosis.

Dan.
gomababe
Regular Poster

Post by gomababe »

My drawings look a little odd to be honest but they're getting better the more I practice. I agree with everyone else on here that every single Dyspraxic is very different in the degree of problems they experience and that any supoprt has to be tailored to the individual rather to a set of really rather foggy criteria. Sorry it's a sore spot with me.
robyn

Post by robyn »

Im very creative, many dyspraxics are, i also have good social skills and am a very capable horse rider, just because someones dyspraxic doesnt mean they have problems with all areas relating to dyspraxia. most doctors dont know much, educational psychologists are generally the most informed
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

yeah i have decided that doctors now know sweet fa about dyspraxia i have enquired about getting him tested by an educational phycologist but he is too young i have to wait till hes around 7, so bit of a waiting game at the mo. i jus wanna get him tested as i have dyspraxia and his dad has severe dyslexis so chances are he proberly will have one, i hope he doesnt but id prefer to catch it early rather than later if he does and get get the help and support he needs.
Crofty
Getting settled in

Post by Crofty »

im a good artist, i came 4th in the country in the aircadet finals for drawing high detail aviation pictures, not easy to draw a plane, but when you have to put every detail in like every rivet and every tiny letter and line, then you can saywow! i have achieved something. not trying to put anyone down if it sounds that way, sorry if it has. I got a d for mt gcse art.

I am also good at other things, I built my own pc and am using it now. ok, what else............erm, oh yeah, thats it!

its all mainly about me and my pc these days.

crofty
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Have you kept up your aviation drawing? Some of the paintings of aircraft you see over landscapes or on an early morning are absolutely superb. Have you drawn modern aircraft, WWII planes or a mixture?
Crofty
Getting settled in

Post by Crofty »

well, i used to draw the stuff like modern day aircraft, like tornado's and stuff like that.

After I turned 16, I gave all that up, maybe I should look at doing it again, but my concentration levels are sooooo poor now that I can't sit for 2 minutes drawing without getting bored.

crofty