Back on the job hunt

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Daniel
Administrator

Back on the job hunt

Post by Daniel »

Although I'm primarily writing at the moment I've also decided to start applying for any jobs out there that really stand out and sound right up my street. So far I've applied for two.

Now I do write a mean cover letter if I do say so myself, meaning that if I've got vaguely suitable experience I generally get an interview. However it's this next stage that has often proved the sticking point. Although I have been offered jobs which are really below what I'm capable of and which I'm over-qualified for, for decent graduate level sort of things I've never had much luck at all.

I'm hoping that being further down the road of life and experience will help but I suspect the interview might still prove to be the sticking point. It's not even that I really get nervous any more. For the jobs I'm applying for it's not crucial whether I get them or not, so the pressure's off. However the difficulties of concentration and inability to think on my feet have really plagued me in the past I reckon.

I'm not sure what there is to be done about this aside from spending a lot to time to cover all of the potential bases when it comes to questions you might be asked. There are other aspects too such as trying to overcome the dyspraxic trait of avoiding eye contact, but these besides, is there much that can be done? Any ideas on how to best sell yourself as the best thing since sliced bread (or in my case a Sunday Roast with Yorkshire Puddings)?

Dan.
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

good luck
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

Apart from the usual interview stuff (be smart, on time, prepared for what they might ask you etc) I dont think there is much more you can do Dan....Definately work on the eye contact thing without over doing it, maybe even admit that you are nervous if you think it is obvious, cause that usually breaks the ice and I find it takes away some of my nerves.
I think the best thing you can do is smile and try to relax (easier said than done) and be yourself really, cause there is no point in pretending to be something you arent. If you end up getting the job and you turn up for work a different kind of person, it will just cause you grief and stress.
I find a smile and always thanking the person for seeing you helps. I'm in the same boat myself right now cause my fixed-term contract is ending at the end of March, and there is a loud clock ticking in my head as I apply daily for jobs. I cant afford to be unemployed again!
Good luck :P
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

I have the same issues. Thankfully I landed on my feet with an "unadvertised job".
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Them's the ones you want! Better than competing with half the readership of the Guardian, that's for sure! Hey-ho!
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

not had a graduate lvel interview yet! the careers people made them sound terrifying-
Them ; So Ruith gives us an example of your excellent team spirit
Me ; er well er

good luck with it , what sort of thing are you applying for?
GWhizz
Regular Poster

Post by GWhizz »

in my interviews I have started to say at the start of the interview I do have dyspraxia, although explaining it is hard. I too have the avoiding eye contact thing. The jobs I am applying for are youth work ones. I'm not sure how the equal oppurtunities has to say on the matter?
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you - Gandalf
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

Hope the job search is going well
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

The topic of dyspraxia on my application form always come up whether it through an employment or at the interview with the employer at the company

I have a bit of advise when I was at the training provider but basic nothing new
James
Getting settled in

Post by James »

I don't have much experience at all with interviews, but - be honest. Tell them you have dyspraxia, and tell them you're nervous. Be yourself. Interviewers are renowned for being harsh, and sometimes being honest with them and trying to express your feelings will create a more relaxed atmosphere all around. :)
Meg
Power poster

Post by Meg »

When I went for my job interviews I told them I had Dyspraxia and they wre very understanding and knew that I would need extra time to do things.

Luv MEg
Xxxx