Birth defects/disabilities

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Roxy86
Regular Poster

Birth defects/disabilities

Post by Roxy86 »

I have read that being born premature, can be a factor in those with dyspraxcia, although the exact cause is unknown, I am led to believe that due to an under development of the brain (previously refered to to as 'minimal brain damage') the 'hard wiring' is incomplete, if you will.

As I have previously mentioned, I was born at 27 weeks in a SCBU in London, 1986.
I was born with talipes foot, contracted meningitis and have scolocis.

Am 152cm in height and have flat feet (no arches whatsoever) and have to wear specially made biomechanical supports. I only wear velcro trainers as I have one foot wider and flater than the other (my balance is impaired and I cannot stand up straight for long periods of time) I also walk with a slight limp, owing to the fact that my scoliocis throws my right hip up and out, making my right leg shorter in length than the left. (shopping for jeans and trainers is a highly upsetting/distressing/frustrating experience for me :()

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced any of the aforementioned, and if so, what has been done to help you, if anything, either physically or psychologically?? Anybody have carers/home help/might I be eligible for some form of DLA?

I also realise now, with hindsight, that I perhaps should have posted this in 'Day to day living' or 'Help and Assessment' :S Apologies also for any spelling mistakes and/or inaccurate information :)
-Hakuna Matata-
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Birth defects/disabilities

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Roxy

I've moved this thread for you as suggested.

It may well be worth enquiring about DLA (or the new PIP - personal independence payment which is being trialled as the replacement for DLA) especially if you're struggling financially with costs associated with managing your condition.

I'm afraid I'm not able to offer any advice from a personal perspective, but perhaps other members can. I do feel/fear that many people who deserve/need such help might end up missing out because of the complicated/exhausting process by which needs are assessed/decisions are made.

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)