hi introducing my self

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jade04smith90
New member - welcome them!

hi introducing my self

Post by jade04smith90 »

Hi
I am new to this forum so thought I would introduce myself I have recently been diagnosed with dyspraxia at 23 years old although it is a relief to finally have some answers for why I am the way I am I don’t really know where to go from here.
I am currently repeating my second year of university which I am finding really hard and is making me really stressed out and anxious. I have spent my whole life feeling stupid and being embarrassed by how ‘thick’ I was this has totally damaged my confidence to the point where as some of the most simple tasks seem impossible like boking tutorials at university and making phone calls. I also am really awkward in social situations and don’t have many friends and don’t know how to improve this as I’m a single mum and don’t get out much so yeah just feel like I have hit a major blip in my life and don’t know where to go from here and wanted to talk to people who may have the same experiences as me as I find the friends do have don’t understand me.
nickye
Power poster

Re: hi introducing my self

Post by nickye »

Hi Jade
Welcome to the forum. I've recently been diagnosed with dyspraxia, in my 40s, and it certainly explains a lot. It is a bit overwhelming at first, but on the whole I find it's making me feel better to know what the problems are. I'd really recommend going on the Dyspraxia Foundation website and seeing if there is a local group (ours has been really good). The lady who diagnosed me has given me details of brain-training books and on-line resources - I'll let you know what they are if you like.
I can really relate to you saying it has knocked your confidence. I have always found practical things difficult, but I had no idea why. Now I know I am starting to feel better about it, and realise I've go to play to my strengths, not keep beating myself up about the things I can't do (although easier said than done, and don't always take my own advice!!)
Did the person who gave you the diagnosis give you any tips of things to do? If no the Dyspraxia Foundation are good and there are some good books around including "Living with Dyspraxia" by Mary Colley.
I wish I'd know about dyspraxia when I was younger, it would have saved me a lot of upset over the years I think, but at least I know now. I never had the confidence to go to university - although I did well at academic things, even things like using a tin opener were difficult, and I really lacked confidence. Things are better now, and I'm a lot more sociable now than I used to be. I used to dread even going into a shop and asking to buy something.
Good luck with everything. Nicky
Shadwell

Re: hi introducing my self

Post by Shadwell »

Hi Jade, welcome to the Forum, I think you discribbed about 90% of us that have had the diagnosis for the first time here in your intro. I know having the confirmation in my hand at the age of 30 was a relief, but kind of felt it was also too little, and too late when I was diagnosed at the age of 10, and being told the dyspraxic thing was all in our heads for the 6 years I was with that GP.

I just wanted to get away from that GP as they weren't listening, so I swapped to a new one that had opened up, and never really bothered to ask the new GP what the problem was until it was kind of too late. well too late for help with the NHS anyway. but that was because we didn't find out about the condition until about 97, and then when I watched one of the morning programmes about Dore in 2006. and everything started to click into place. it was only my mother had found out about it, some 10 years earlier possibly watching the same segment, and then when we put the two answers together then we came up with the same answer.

but she didn't do anything because of my father, and other family saying no, and me saying yes I wanted to find out. but went without our diagnosis for the 10 years or something.

so yes it is a relief, and the best way forward is to join a web-site like this, I am not sure 100% about the Dyspraxia Foundation I decided not to due to the lack of locations like the nearest was Birmingham for me, and at the time I was on limited money, so everything coming in was going out again on trying to improve my life. like running a car instead of walking all the time, and having to rely on public transport, or having arguments with my parents. plus the internet, as that was another argument with them as I would go there for hours and use their internet to chat to friends.

look on the bright side, at least you got a diagnosis earlier than quite a few people, hopefully it will help you to move forward in your studies, and just remember there are quite a few members in college and uni on here if you are still stuggling, and need some advice.

Mike