Support with politics

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

Support with politics

Post by Little Miss Anxious »

Introduction:

Ireland is a liberal democracy:

1. Liberal democratic ideals and outline the system that is designed to turn the ideals into facts of political living.

Part 1: Present the deatails of Ireland as a liberal democratic system
2. The liberal democratic constitution of power: the separation of powers (detail the parts and explain their function) ; the written constitution (present some features of Ireland's constitution..point out where it specifies the roles of the president the government the legislature (Dail) elections, referenda
3. Mention the role of the political parties and pressure groups.

Part 2 in this section you point out the flaws in the irish system

1. The elections create dominant parties and put their leadership into power as an executive.

2. Point out how this places the executive within the legislature and through the whipping system converts party's majority of TDs into a block `yes` vote for the executive = no serious check by legislature on the executives power.

3. Add in clientelisim, the over dominance of fiania fail and the corrupting tendencies of the celtic tiger.

4. Give some examples of political failure/ corruption: Housing/healthcare are two possible examples...pick other if you have them to hand. Give some details, reference your sources.

Part 3
In this section make suggestions about how the system might be repaired, if you think it can be.
New parties?
change the electorial system
change the structure to give more power to the president.. or perhaps more power to regional authorities? Any other idea of your own... don't be afraid to try things out here. You will not be penalised for thinking for yourself.

Refernce all your sources.

What does my Politics lecture mean by the instructions he gave me above???

This is what I have written so far, below:

Is the electorial system damaged, beyond repair?

Introduction

Ireland has a liberal democracy electoral system which has a rule bound structure allowing debate and decision making. It consists of a set of rules explaining the functions and powers of the institutions within the structure and it is also a constitution (map of power)containing an Executive, Legislature and Judiciary which sets out state institutions and describes their power and it sets out the relationship of state and citizens. I plan to investigate the electoral system and examine any flaws in the system and will then compare it to other systems when determining which electoral system is the best to use. The system has ideals which connects it to the state and civil society such as:

Limited state and civil Society.
Rule of law.
Equal status.
One person one vote.
Accountable Government.
Free Market/private property.
Free Association/ private property.

In my essay I plan to investigate the electoral system and examine any flaws in the system. I will then compare it to other systems when determining which system is the best to use.

Main Body

I am stuck. Have ye any ideas????? I don't know what the word limit is, even and I have nobody to ask.

It is 18.37pm now.

Thanks for listening.

WB.........
Amy Conway
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Support with politics

Post by Tom fod »

I agree there's no mention of a word limit but do you have any more guidance ie pages/ time you've been given to complete compared with other similar assignments?

Do you understand fully what they want and do you understand the principles of how the Irish political system works and can present ideas about where it falls short of the ideal

Part three what do you think should be tried to improve they system.

Last part is to keep a note of all the things you've read in connection with this study assignment and include endnotes detailing what sources refers to which sections. Can you ask the lecturer for extra time a better explanation of what is required?

Clientism I guess is to do with big business having greatest influence and politicians and their political parties naturally trying to gain support of those they see as the best and most powerful allies.

The whip system is where politicians toe the party line and vote accordingly rather than putting their head above the parapet and stranding up for themselves/their constituents.

point out that politicians are human and will more often than not act in their own interests.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

I have no idea what any of it means and it is an essay, not an exam or assignment.

I am getting no other exam or assignment in Politics but there was the group asssignment on problems within the Irish secondary level education and am expected today to come up with solutions to the problems.

I wrote many ideas dow but am having internet problems so I lost my post. lol. am angry.

Reduce the control of the Taioseac over the government etc.
Change the Irish electroial system
get rid of the Taioseac or just use him to maintain group support
instead of one person deciding on the budget, vote on it
Maybe get citizens to vote on which cuts to be made so that they are prepared.
Ask what would be the most easiest way to make reductions in the budget and have a budget that would affect the unfortunate very little, for example the infiltrate system such as buying properties to invest money into the economy or increase taxes on people who are well able to live beyond their means and make a law that they must accept the high tax or face a huge fine, be sewed by citizens such as education etc or face a month imprisionment
Amy Conway
Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

Also make sure that every school, primary and secondary and special school, educate pupils in the voting system, politics manipulation, politicial policies and roles of the government and politians and separation of power etc to enable the citizen to vote for an apropriate candidate and a good policy so that it will benefit everybody else including that voter. Inform many of the roles of citizens in politics and the power us citizens have over the government and politicans etc, so that we can take advantage of that power to help promote a fair, stable, growing, healthy, abundant economy.
Amy Conway
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Sorry essay, long time since I did any real study and I live in UK so admit I know very little about Irish politics so am looking at question as if it was applied to UK system.

I think you'll get there but do try to put yourself in the place of different sections of the population too. ie you have to have a certain amount of room for business people so they can make profits but not feel so overburdened by tax that they relocate abroad. Equally your average person is often quite uncaring of politics and quite cynical of politicians and their main concern will be to have money coming in to enable themselves/their families to live. Therefore will the cost of introducing voter reform will make a significant enough difference to be worthwhile.

Talk to your tutor sooner rather than later if you need further guidance on what's required. Also if you can talk to your fellow students too. Newspaper libraries inc archives and Irish Government website/publications are the sources I'd be looking to for info and ideas.

Another useful tip is to write your posts in word processor and copy and paste them across. Admit I only usually do this once I've lost something once.

Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)