time management/organisation problems

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wildandactive
New member - welcome them!

time management/organisation problems

Post by wildandactive »

Hello

I'm new to this and hoping it might help me as Im feeling quite helpless at the moment.

I really wanted to be a teacher and unfortunatly it didn't work out because of my dyspraxia. I just couldn't keep up with all the lesson planning and all the other demands of the PGCE. At the moment I'm applying for jobs but I'm feeling useless because I keep emailing them at the last minute. It just takes me ages to do the applications. It's so frustrating and I know I'm not going to get anywhere if i carry on like this. Im crap at being on time for anything and it makes me feel soo pathetic. I'm wondering if anyone has time management/organisational problems and if they have any good strategies to help.

Esther
agsiul
Power poster

Re: time management/organisation problems

Post by agsiul »

DAMN! just typed out a whole message for you. I hate this computer. I deleted the whole bloody thing again. I'll get back to you with some suggestions when i can psych myself up to doing it again.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Hi Esther,

I hear you. Try not to get too stressed because it is impossible to think straight and get ideas if you are stressed out. I’m a teacher and I can tell you that it is more than stressful teaching. Exhausting work with loads of admin. I’ll go through the things that I learned to do to cope. I don’t know if they will help you but they might give you some ideas.

1. When applying for jobs I do all of the work well in advance of the deadline because it is very stressful for me when I am up against a deadline. I keep copies of the application forms so that I can use them the next time round. I use a copy of the application form to write out the stuff roughly before I do it properly so that I don’t make mistakes that can’t be undone.

2. I work all the time because I need to keep ahead of the work so that I don’t end up getting snowed under. What I do is keep a list of what has to be done. Sometimes I work on the things that I can get done quickly so that some of the things are off the list and other times I do the things that will take the most time. Invariablly I’ll have forgotten something or something will crop up that I won’t have taken into account. It’s very tough having to work all the time but if I pace myself I will feel that at least I will be able to cope when the unexpected things crop up.

3. Time is exactly the same. I need to be earlier that I should be so that I’ll be on time. I work backwards from the time I should be there and try to figure out how long it is going to get me to get there. Then I add maybe ½ an hour or 1 hour to the trip depending on the distance so that will be on time. I always take something to read because I’ll be bored when I’m hanging around after I’ve arrived early but if I don’t arrive early I’ll be really late.

4. As for time management....still have no idea other than the things I said above. Everything takes 3 or 4 times longer than I think it will take and so I never get the amount done that I think I’ll get done. That’s why I have to keep working all the time so that I’ll have a certain amount done before it has to be done so that when the other things have to be done I’m always trying to catch up.

5. The organisation is the same. I am super organised in work and keep everything in files. Everything is organised according to topic so that I can lay my hand on them when I need them. When it is not like this I feel like an idiot rummaging through files trying to find the specific thing that I want. The same goes for things at home. I keep the bills somewhere where I can see them, pay them off, put them in a box and gradually file them away in individual files. The best thing is to get a filing cabinet and organise things the way you will be able to find them: recipts, guarantees, electricity bills, gas bills, current account, insurance, car, etc. I’d write the file labels in pencil until you get the hang of it and until you are sure how you want to organise things. I keep my computer as organised as possible as wel because it is impossible to find things when they go missing.

I'm sure other people can think of other ideas.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi

I used to do loads of applications forms. Try to allow yourself as much time as possible. try not to keep putting off doing stuff until last moment because it feels futile. One day it won't be :D

Here are a few tips about application forms

Have your application info to hand so you can fill in the standard bits of info all applications want: NI number previous career, educational qualifications dates, etc.

If necessary on hand completed forms rule feint pencil lines to help you write more neatly in the boxes. You can carefully rub the pencil lines out later

Or you can print answers and cut and paste into the relevant boxes. Measure up and create text boxes would suggest you don't use smaller than 10 pt text

I guess a lot of forms are online now anyway so just have a word processor doc with all the above info in it and you can copy and paste into different sections as necessary.

I wrote some similar job finding tips for someone on the work forum which might prove helpful to you too.

All the best

Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)