Keeping Attention

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wobble
Getting settled in

Keeping Attention

Post by Wobble »

I have terrible attention,for example if someone is talking to me and they're is news going around me i'm very sensitive to it and i tend to lose attention and it seems i'm being rude sometimes (i think so anyway :p) but this effects me in school greatly because i don't take anythign in if i'm distracted and i just end up get really tired an daydream.I can't take anything in at school but when i get home i can because i can go the kitchen table in quite.
I don't know how to help myself basically so any tips would be helpful,thanks. :)
agsiul
Power poster

Re: Keeping Attention

Post by agsiul »

So sorry. I completely sympathise because I have the same problem but have no idea how to help. I presume that's a typo and you're talking about noise. Is it school or college you're in? My sister does it to in fact I look like I'm listening unless I'm really tired and then I look through people. If you're in college you might be able to get the lecturer to give you the over heads so that you only have to listen and not take notes and you might be able to record the lecture so that you can listen back though I hate that myself cause I find it really hard to concentrate on it and really just want to get up and move around more so than I would if I was at a lecture. If I can swing I can be better but even that doesn't last if I'm really tired. I was talking to someone who said that there is such a thing as a hearing aid that might be able to help but I don't know anything about it. I have a funny idea she said that specsavers did them. It think what it's supposed to do is block out the ....what's this they call it...ambiant noise I think. this is the link for the Irish site. I never got round to looking into it cause i forgot of course...head like a sive...must check it out though:
http://www.specsavers.ie/hearing/product-range/
Grackle
Regular Poster

Post by Grackle »

Wobble wrote:I have terrible attention,for example if someone is talking to me and they're is news going around me i'm very sensitive to it and i tend to lose attention and it seems i'm being rude sometimes (i think so anyway :p) but this effects me in school greatly because i don't take anythign in if i'm distracted and i just end up get really tired an daydream.I can't take anything in at school but when i get home i can because i can go the kitchen table in quite.
I don't know how to help myself basically so any tips would be helpful,thanks. :)
I'm like that too. When I was in university, I would got to lectures and then realize that I had no memory of what was discussed because I was so distracted (these were classes of 50-250 students). Then I started to sit in the first row and it made a huge difference for two reasons. One, there were less things to see and overhear from other students because they were behind me. Two, the professor could see if I was paying attention or not and the anxiety of that caused me to listen more intensely. Now, if I am at a presentation or lecture or something, I always sit in the front unless I really don't care about the topic and then I sit further back so I can daydream in peace :grin:
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Come to think of it I do the same thing. Makes a big difference alright.