Could I achieve this dream and how do I convince my mother t

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

Could I achieve this dream and how do I convince my mother t

Post by Little Miss Anxious »

I am from Sligo in the republic of Ireland and there is a course I want to do which is miles away in Cork, it is a Performance of Arts Fetac course level 5 and it is 200 registration but I would be studying acting skills, performance, dance or movement, miming, characterisation etc and there are drama and singing work shops and there are professional acters there who train students to act.

Now I am very good at writing stories, lyrics, I have a brilliant blues voice and I can use alot of passion and emotion when I sing and act which makes me great at both.

I am very interested in emotions and human behaviour.

So I can sing, act and write but the only problem is I am 22, I have special needs - my sense of direction isn't great, find summarisation and estimation and spatial awareness difficult and sometimes I find it hard to understand certain words or questions on a paper and sometimes find it difficult to express my answer on the page so that it will make sense but that has improved alot since.

So should I just let this dream go?

What do you think I should do?

How should I talk to my mum and I am not very street wise and haven't lived by myself before but I would love to and I have lived with one of my ex - boyfriends and I coped very well with living away from home.

Should stop dreaming and hoping and just lets this opportunity go, it is in Cork???. How would I be able to talk my mum into approving of letting me go???

8-[
Amy Conway
brian
Getting settled in

Re: Could I achieve this dream and how do I convince my mother t

Post by brian »

If I was you I would [if i was eligible] go back through the CAO and under the DARE program to the college or university since it is a disability program but 23 is the cut off age. I don't really know your situation if you have done your leaving cert or not.

I don't want to put you down but I have seen a guide about how much staying in a college actually costs and I have to say it is quiete expensive.

The best way to convince your mum is to say that the college will be able to cope with my learning difficulty and that they will be helping during the time the course runs from.

By the way what college is it
Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

I would prefer this course to the bachelors peformance of arts in IT college because it includes music and work -shops and it only costs 200 for entry, well the only problem with my project studies, was i put too much information into my communications technology project and in my personal identity project i found alot of the questions in the tasks difficult to understand and it makes it hard for me to carry out a task but other than that im fine when it comes to studying except some words are hard to under
Amy Conway
scifineils
New member - welcome them!

Post by scifineils »

Dont give up the dream. I followed mine through and did get some professional work, not enough to live off long term but enough to know I do have the ability.

Have you passed the audition stage (if there is an audition)? That would make it easier to talk to your mother.

What I would do is enrol and then tell your mother as a fate acompli. I did this for my theatre course which saw me move to another town. Its a bit of a cowards route but it means your mother doesnt have time to talk you out of it by giving you all the negatives. You know its not going to be easy, you dont need your mother to repeatedly point this out to you.

If you are confident enough in your abilities enrol as an "able" bodied student and then seek out the "learning" councillor and tell them that you have dyspraxia. You will naturally have to explain it to them so have all the necessary information to make them understand that there is nothing there that you cant do, you may just need a bit more patience and understanding from the teachers in the movement type classes.

Find your accomodation in the new town ahead of time and learn the land marks that you need to navigate around. Carry a map with you for the first few days to assist for when you do get lost.

Embrace it, have fun and good luck.
Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

No if i started it would be next september. Its a 2years course and its hours away. If i did that my mum would think i am sly and be angry at me and aqusing me of going behind her back. How can i become street wise and have inteligence to be able to compare good person from a bad person? How do i know who to trust, how can i gain that wisdom of who to trust? What do the panel look for in actors in an audition if there is one???. Have you any tips to get accepted on+the+course+and+how+to+pass+the+interview++
Amy Conway
Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

'Oh sniflin or whatever your name is who replied to me last? My mum accidently heard about my course in cork after disgreetly telling a lady patient in hospital and she said i need a guardien and gave her opinion but mum said ' oh well once amy has something on her mind you cant stop her she wont stop till she gets it but i wont think of that now i have enough to worry about like amy getting through the operation with her galstones!. That was monday but yesterday she said but not all dyspraxics are the+sa
Amy Conway
StageFighter
New member - welcome them!

Post by StageFighter »

Wrote my reply to this post in another section of the forum and have just realised that this one is far more active... so here it is again:

Hi Amy,

Sorry if I haven't got all of your details right - I frequently find difficulty in reading large blocks of informative text. My name is Tom, I am dyspraxic to a moderate level - something which wasn't spotted until I was 20 and at Uni - I am now 25. I don't if what I have to say will help you, but maybe it will give you something to think about. Obviously dyspraxia manifests itself differently in different people. For me it effects all sorts of areas, not severly, but enough to at times over years cause me a great deal of anxiety and stress - it made me very dispondant about all sorts of activities, particularly physical ones - school sport was torture for me - but once I discovered the cause for all this I starting making an effort (mostly in terms of physical co-ordination) to work hard at overcoming these problems. I have always been a musician and an actor and have always been drawn to creative pursuits.
I play several instruments and did youth theatre as a kid, etc.
I went to drama school (a foundation course) where I studied acting, dancing, singing, physical performance, etc. In a creative environment, I found a chance to really explore the physcial movements that I found so difficult and I began to find some success in them. I started stage combat there as part of our classes, I didn't do particularly well at it, but I enjoyed it and continued with it after drama school. After that I went on to study Film and Theatre at university and came away with a degree, I kept going with my stage combat here and there and also began studying martial arts - I have now done a few and I would recommend some kind of regular physical training to anyone who finds physical co-ordination difficult as a result of being dyspraxic - its helped me immensly. Anyway (sorry I tend to ramble, get side tracked and then go blank)... So I did all that and then went on to become a professional actor. Not only that, but I have overcome my physical limitations through training martial arts, stage combat and a little bit of dance (even ballet) to the point where I was able to begin an apprenticeship as a stage combat instructor. I am now a professionally recognised stage combat instructor and fight choreograper, teaching other actors both within and oustide drama schools and working in the industry. I also work as a professional actor and have spent much of the last 2 years touring in Shakespeare productions.

Now I don't know if any of that helps. If you are thinking of continuing on into any part of the industry, I won't say its easy, its hard work, but I guess what I saying, is I've kind of been there in a round about way and its working out for me ok. I'm dyspraxic, but I've stuck with it and I wouldn't change it for the world. If its what you really want, stick with your dream. Don't be afraid to ask for help - especially when keeping yourself organised - that goes for while you're doing your course too.

Hope that helps in some small way.

All the best and good luck!

Tom