Where are you in the birth order?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Where were you born compared to your siblings?

Only Child
15%
Oldest (with siblings)
40%
Middle Child
20%
Youngest
25%

Total votes: 60

Daniel
Administrator

Where are you in the birth order?

Post by Daniel »

Is there any correlation between birth order and dyspraxia?
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

I have heard the theory that after parents have a dyspraxic child they tend not to have anotrher due to the resultant difficulties. I wonder how much truth there is in that generally. i know my parents have said it mant times - always with love and a smile though.
Blazinwolf
New member - welcome them!

Post by Blazinwolf »

Ruth wrote:I have heard the theory that after parents have a dyspraxic child they tend not to have anotrher due to the resultant difficulties. I wonder how much truth there is in that generally. i know my parents have said it mant times - always with love and a smile though.
I caused my mom to "split" her womb when i was born, But i think that was jsut because i was big boned, not due to dispraxia. But i'm an only child

though strangely enough, all up my family, the first born of my mom's brothers all have mental dissorders... even the oldest brother in my mom's family had the numeric dislexia...
And HER dad was a schizophrenic
That's an interesting genetic thought for you though isn't it?
Never follow the white rabbit, it always leads to madness.
Snjstar
Regular Poster

Post by Snjstar »

I have one younger sister who is not Dyspraxic.

Does anyone have siblings who are also Dyspraxic?
rhubarb_crumble
Getting settled in

Post by rhubarb_crumble »

I am the youngest. I have a brother and a half-sister, none of whom which are Dyspraxic.

I had a breach birth. How was everyone else born?
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

I'm the eldest, but I do have brother, who isn't Dyspraxic.
Danni
Getting settled in

Post by Danni »

I'm the eldest, and actually the most "normal" of the four of us... not that I've got off scot free!

I'm dyspraxic (my fine motor skills are much worse than my gross motor skills now- and it's four months since I last fell down the stairs! W00T!) have depression, constant anxiety and daily panic attacks, and possibly a personality disorder.

My sister who is 17 has Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD, used to have hearing difficulties, and a criminal record.

My sister who is 14 is ADHD.

My brother who is 12 has Asperger's Syndrome.

The youngest two are in foster care at the moment.

If there isn't a case for genetics causing problems here then I'd like to know why all four of us have something not normal with us!
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Yeah I hadn't heard of there been any evidence of genetic or hereditary relationships with dyspraxia, but there must have been some other common factor that has affected you and your siblings.
Danni
Getting settled in

Post by Danni »

If dyspraxia and ADHD is on the Autistic spectrum then there could be that as a common link... none of the other three are dyspraxic though, and my two sisters are excellent at art. Me and Martin are much more into books and maths :)
littlemissme
New member - welcome them!

Post by littlemissme »

I was adopted as a baby so i dont know where i was in the birth order. But i have an older adopted brother and were not blood relatives.
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

I am a middle child. I was quite large as a baby and my mom almost had to have a c-section. They said that with my disorder I may have either damaged part of my cerebellum during the birth or I may have been born without part of it. I don't really know which, but regardless I have a nonverbal learning disorder. I'd like to think that it wasn't that I lost part of it because then there is a chance that I could have been without the disorder if they went through with the c-section. I don't like think it was the doctor's fault either so we don't talk about it at home. We don't even know if it is the exact cause of my disorder, which is like dyspraxia. They are still doing much research on the brain so maybe I will find out in the future. I don't know who said about the parents wanting to have another kid due to the fact that the first was disabled, but that was not the case in my family. My parents loved me, but they also wanted to have another kid so I could have a little brother or sister. I ended up getting a younger sister. :) Both my sisters are what is considered "normal," but it does not matter in my family. My sisters and I are best friends. My parents love all three of us equally. I love my family. :)
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
quackstar84
Regular Poster

Post by quackstar84 »

I have a twin sister and two older bothers, I`m the only one with Dyspraxia.
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

I have a half brother and half sister who are 31 and 28 respectively (we have different fathers). Neither of them have any learning difficulties or serious health problems at all BUT they are both social workers :P *hisses*
Goodbye, and have a pleasant tommorrow!!
I swear to drunk im not God.....
arthmelow
Regular Poster

Post by arthmelow »

Brother ( 19 ) with aspergers, and me ( 21 ) with dyspraxia and ADD.

My father now also believes that he has a mild varient of dyspraxia after looking through all the information I gave him about it. Which would make sense really.
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

My uncle had schizophrenia and my grandma has bipolar disorder(formerly, manic depressive disorder). I think that there may be a connection between them having a disability and me having a disability. I don't have any schizophrenic or manic depressive symptoms, but mental disabilities do run in my family so there might be a connection that way...

As far as I know NLD and dyspraxia have no connection with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07