Looking for experts by experience to support in conference presentation

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

divergentti
New member - welcome them!

Looking for experts by experience to support in conference presentation

Post by divergentti »

Hello I'm a clinician and Neurodivergent myself. I'm looking for participants to help me in a presentation I am due to deliver at the Counselling Psychology Conference in Glasgow on Saturday 6 July 2024 (afternoon).

I've created a workshop that is dynamic and will help therapists learn more about making better accommodations for neurodivergent people in therapy.

Although I already have some of the conditions covered (e.g., ADHD, ASC, Dyslexia) I would really like to add dyspraxic/people with dyspraxia to ensure the workshop is as fully inclusive of the different neurodivergent conditions as possible.

The workshop is to be attended by no more than 24 delegates (professionals participating in the workshop) and all the activities are dynamic with active participation from all. The time required would be around 2hrs on the day. We will meet online to talk about the details and any accommodations needed to support you before and during the workshop. I can also offer a post-workshop meeting if you have any feedback or would like participate in similar projects

If you fit the following criteria
• Have dyspraxia/are dyspraxic, live in or within easy reach of Glasgow
• Have previous experience of receiving therapy or mental health support with any challenge (can be related to dyspraxia or any other challenges)
• Feel comfortable disclosing information about your experiences relevant to dyspraxia and mental health (what is comfortable for you) and would be interested in and available to support me in this endeavour, please contact me and we can talk more about the event and details!
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Re: Looking for experts by experience to support in conference presentation

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Anyone who claims expertise is unlikely to be an expert - sorry I cannot actively help maybe have a go at the questionnaire and contact those writers following the dyspraxia foundation's closure.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... 8844220967
Chris0
Getting settled in

Post by Chris0 »

Hi there just seen your post being a Glasgow-based coach, director, creative etc and previously experience therapy a while ago. I would be very happy to help. If I could have some further info that would be great thanks. Chris
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:51 pm Anyone who claims expertise is unlikely to be an expert - sorry I cannot actively help maybe have a go at the questionnaire and contact those writers following the dyspraxia foundation's closure.

Hi Andrew

I've engaged with original poster. Her request to seek participants with lived experience has been agreed by myself
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
divergentti

Post by divergentti »

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:51 pm Anyone who claims expertise is unlikely to be an expert - sorry I cannot actively help maybe have a go at the questionnaire and contact those writers following the dyspraxia foundation's closure.

Thank you Andrew :) that is the 'official name' people give, my apologies if that is not the way you refer to people with personal experience, I am flexible and use any terminology and vocabulary people are comfortable with, and I am aware not everybody uses the same.
I will have a look, thank you for your reply! :)
divergentti

Post by divergentti »

Chris0 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm Hi there just seen your post being a Glasgow-based coach, director, creative etc and previously experience therapy a while ago. I would be very happy to help. If I could have some further info that would be great thanks. Chris
Thank you so much Chris for your kind reply!!!
I will send you a private message so we can arrange and meet online to talk about specific details. I appreciate your enthusiasm :D thank you!
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I have no problem with the term "personal experience" but seriously dislike folk terming themselves expert as expertise is unlikely regarding developmental dyspraxia due to the fact it seems to be experienced differently by us all -

Having previously worked in employment that involved a lot of court work and given evidence on many occasions or at least answered questions from the judiciary and advocates I realise that in the English and Welsh Courts there are a category of witnesses described as "expert" in official terminology - so I am not decrying every use of the word but am just wary as I have seen many seem to claim expertise when really they are advertising for commercial customers.

I have taken part in several largish dyspraxia conferences and am glad to see something is planned for Glasgow - I wish it and the organisers well.
divergentti

Post by divergentti »

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:39 am I have no problem with the term "personal experience" but seriously dislike folk terming themselves expert as expertise is unlikely regarding developmental dyspraxia due to the fact it seems to be experienced differently by us all -

Having previously worked in employment that involved a lot of court work and given evidence on many occasions or at least answered questions from the judiciary and advocates I realise that in the English and Welsh Courts there are a category of witnesses described as "expert" in official terminology - so I am not decrying every use of the word but am just wary as I have seen many seem to claim expertise when really they are advertising for commercial customers.

I have taken part in several largish dyspraxia conferences and am glad to see something is planned for Glasgow - I wish it and the organisers well.
Thank you for sharing Andrew :) and thank you for your kind words too :D