Job loss

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gracemc96
Getting settled in

Job loss

Post by Gracemc96 »

Good evening everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any advice I’m 23 years old I recently lost my job due to being to slow ( I am a cleaner). Unfortunately this has turned into a reoccurring theme. Although I have another part time cleaning job it would not pay the bills on a mortgage which I would need, as I am looking into buying a property. I am now at the stage of my life that I feel I would benefit from financial support. I was just wondering if anyone had received benefits as a result of how there dyspraxia effects them. As I feel it would have a really negative effect on my mental health continuously looking for jobs I am not capable of. Many thanks kind regards Grace.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Job loss

Post by Tom fod »

Gracemc96 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:38 pm Good evening everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any advice I’m 23 years old I recently lost my job due to being too slow ( I am a cleaner). Unfortunately this has turned into a reoccurring theme. Although I have another part time cleaning job it would not pay the bills on a mortgage which I would need, as I am looking into buying a property. I am now at the stage of my life that I feel I would benefit from financial support. I was just wondering if anyone had received benefits as a result of how their dyspraxia effects them. As I feel it would have a really negative effect on my mental health continuously looking for jobs I am not capable of. Many thanks kind regards Grace.
Hi Grace

Firstly really sorry to hear of your experience(s).
Getting money out of the DWP is really difficult and you have to fight tooth and nail. I would strongly suggest getting some advice from the likes of Citizens Advice, Scope or other similar organisation about what benefits you might be able to claim to support you with the cost of living/working with your difficulties.

It is very worthwhile getting as much help as possible with the process of making a claim and if necessary appealing the initial No response. The DWP / their assessors are regrettably not switched on or accepting of dyspraxia (or necessarily any other disability) and the impact on mental health. This sadly makes claiming more difficult for those who genuinely need financial support.

Cleaning is an important/essential job but too often those doing it are undervalued. It's a job that is not necessarily easy for us to do quickly. Regrettably some employers too, are not exactly accepting of the difficulties we have (even if we tell them).
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
PiotrekPuczek
New member - welcome them!

Re: Job loss

Post by PiotrekPuczek »

The Jobcentre is just a whip to ruin peoples lives.

There us one thing that would clear up the difficulties for people with dyspraxia and that is an unconditional basic income.

Instead the system is designed to keep us in the status of the precariat.

I find the best thing you can ever do is NEVER walk into a jobcebtre again, its an opportunity cost, and the requiremwnt to provide all your documents over and over and over again is just a design to stress out and punish dyspraxics and keep them forever on the hook and shy of the time to seek proper work.

I also know some staff out of the office and they are absolute ablist demons.

Pushing people off employment constantly is also a way to fix unemployment figures to make economic performance look better or worse than it is... Every so often the job centre changes ID requirements.

Also becuase they dictate when your appointments are people with short term memory impairements can never properly remember the dates and times especially if they have dyscaculia.

After 50 years of abuse you would think they would have a neurocognition unit. They have instiutional psychologists who visit once a month for audits and they do nothing else except paperwork.

Occupational therapists are not offered, there is nothing whatsoever except stress, abuse and heartache. They ruined my teen years along with the banks exacting double and triple 28 pounds for going over the overdraft. This was a very very nasty scam that caused endless over problems, it was basically an extreme form of abuse. The people doing the finance policy for the jobcenters were doing the overdrafts policy at the banks. It was a coodinated scam to loot people with neurodiversity issues.