Is it worth getting an official diagnosis this late in life?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mirak
New member - welcome them!

Is it worth getting an official diagnosis this late in life?

Post by Mirak »

I have an appointment with my PCP (that's what we call the GP in the US) on the 19th. I was thinking of talking to her about the possibility that I have dyspraxia. But I'm 54 and on disability for other reasons so it's not like I have an employer to worry about. Other than being tested for any neurological problems is there any good reason for me to work towards getting an official diagnosis or would it just be more of a "now I can say with certainty" thing? At this late stage in my life I know how to avoid or compensate for all the things that are difficult for me to do. All opinions are welcome.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Is it worth getting an official diagnosis this late in life?

Post by Tom fod »

Hope your visit with PCP is useful. Dyspraxia AKA DCD in the DSM-V but a lot of physicians believe the myth that we grow out of it.

Not strictly true, we find ways to compensate. However, Adulthood brings different challenges and too often dyspraxia goes hand in hand with anxiety.

Knowing for certain may be necessary for you but a lot of people struggle to get official confirmation. There are quite a few in the commumity (maybe as many as 50%) who are self-discovered/declaring.

If your PCP is going to Google it, the UK NHS page or Dyspraxia Foundation Website are good sources. There is also Dyspraxia USA, run by Warren in IL, but not sure how far their reach extends or to what extent they're able to support Adults.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Auron
Power poster

Re: Is it worth getting an official diagnosis this late in life?

Post by Auron »

On the one hand yes, you'd only be getting the diagnosis for the sake of being able to say "Oh, that's what it is, officially."

But on the other hand (not to put life experiences into your skin, but...) you won't know how that might feel until you get that diagnosis.

It may turn out not to be a big deal. It may turn out you read the letter and cry and feel a weight suddenly lifted, or things you've been judging yourself for lightening suddenly.

Yes at 50+ years of age a diagnosis might just be for your own spiritual and emotional curiosity, but, you won't know what that will feel like until you experience it, be it life-changing in hindsight or... not much of a muchness (or anywhere in between).