Dyspraxia from a different professional

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

Dyspraxia from a different professional

Post by ALADDIN »

I received a diagnosis of dyspraxia from a psychologist.

I had my IQ, working memory , coordination measured .

A psychiatrist knew I had dyspraxia, ADHD and Aspergers traits in the year 2000. He knew it had dyspraxia as a result of my speech . I had my dyspraxia detected by a speech therapist, on the NHS, aged 23, symptoms of ADHD, were present.

I had to learn about adult dyspraxia, in order to get the diagnosis of dyspraxia, which is extremely difficult as an adult, especially if one is not in education.

My report for dyspraxia, does not mention speech dyspraxia . My GP, would not accept it because it was diagnosed privately.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia from a different professional

Post by Tom fod »

Have you ever written formally to your GP practice or Patient and Liaison Service (PALS) to query this?

I believe mine was probably confirmed by an Educational Psychologist when I was statemented prior to doing my GCSEs in late 80s
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I had another GP in 2020, he accepted my dyspraxia report . He said it is a problem.

I will make a formal complaint etc .
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It's something that's impacted on your quality of life but encouraging to hear the GP you saw is more accepting.

Maybe the previous Dr was one of those who believed Dyspraxia was something people grew out of?

I think a big part of the problem is there has always been a lack of specifically tailored and targeted help and support. For some the psychological impact can cause or appear to present like other conditions. Equally some have to contend with more than just Dyspraxia. The lack public awareness and acceptance can make it doubly difficult to suceeed.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

The reason might be that the GP thought, children grown out of dyspraxia. My GP had a son with dyspraxia

I think the main reason is that there are no NHS
services for adult dyspraxia in my area , very very few nationally .

The lack of awareness of adult dyspraxia, a problem, childhood dyspraxia has poor awareness.

A survey for adult dyspraxia, found that around half of people with dyspraxia, find it hard to find and maintain employment.

It is worrying .
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Aside from awareness, it's a lack of understanding and acceptance that we're all impacted differently. It is rarely a case we aren't trying. So often it's the difficulty involved trying to find the right level of support and flexibility and opportunity to be able to flourish and successfully juggle all the demands modern life throws at us.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

It maybe the fact that I got my dyspraxia diagnosis, privately, maybe an issue

People who are diagnosed with ADHD and treated privately, often have problem’s getting the GP, to give them an NHS prescription ( a share care plan).They have to get an “NHS” diagnosis to get an NHS prescription, because the cost of ADHD medication can be over £100 / month .