Good evening one and all.

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Busspass
New member - welcome them!

Good evening one and all.

Post by Busspass »

Hello all,

Hope everyone is well here and I hope you don't mind me intruding on this forum, I've literally signed up to learn as I'm curious about all this.
Please let me explain.....
First off, my name is Colin and I'm a 47 year old dad of two beautiful twins, Grace and Ben who are soon to be 7 years old. We're all held together by my beautiful wife, Emily hehe. I'm really lucky to have such a lovely family life, in fact, blessed.
That's me out the way, so....
I don't have that much contact with my sister because she's got kids too and 'life get's in the way', which I obviously now completely understand, as some on here will totally understand too.
Anyway, I met my sister the other week and she told me she'd been diagnosed with Dyspraxia and she was explaining about some of the symptoms and how it can be heredatory? (not sure on the spelling there)
She suffers with the spacial awareness and coordination side of it, but I'm all good with that. She also said about other things that can be an issue too that can be associated.
She said about not being able to read properly, not having a clue about what direction you're driving/walking to (I suffer massively from both of those), getting numbers mixed up. Granted, that could be Dyslexia, I don't know.
Plus, my biggest one that's plagued me for years is constant insomnia because my brain just refuses to shut down at night.
There was more, but I can't remember at the moment but please forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Kind regards,

Colin
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Good evening one and all.

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Colin and welcome

To answer your question, it is entirely possible you could be dyspraxic too. It's a complex condition and will present differently in different people.

There's also a fair degree of crossover with other Neurodivergent conditions in the 'same family'such as
Dyslexia, Dyscalculia (number Dyslexia) and ADHD. It's easy to become confused by all the traits some of which are common in more than one of the aforementioned. Equally as an adult you will have developed coping strategies over the years that can overcome, compensate for or mask traits.

Feel free to ask any questions and please do check out the Forum and the Dyspraxia Foundation's Website for reliable info. Please also highlight it's existence to your sister unless it was she who pointed you in our direction.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Busspass
New member - welcome them!

Re: Good evening one and all.

Post by Busspass »

Thank you for your reply Tom, and also for the welcome.
I’m definitely going to look into this, not that much for me but our lovely little boy is showing signs I think.
Thanks again for the references, means a lot.

Colin