Think I was wrongly diagnosed with autism, and that I have dyspraxia instead

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

AlexMark
New member - welcome them!

Think I was wrongly diagnosed with autism, and that I have dyspraxia instead

Post by AlexMark »

Hi everyone,

I am a 22 year old male University student studying an MSc in Strategic Marketing. I was diagnosed with autism aged 5, and was never formally diagnosed with dyspraxia, but as I have got older, I am increasingly wondering if I was given the wrong diagnosis, particularly when I look at the symptom lists of autism and dyspraxia.

As an adult, I rarely struggle with social communication, and I think that any social mistakes relate to processing and sometimes being a little socially clumsy, rather than being socially awkward. However, I have a lot of friends and I am comfortable meeting new people of all ages. People have often told me that I am polite and friendly. I also do not have any sensory issues. On the other hand, I have struggled with the vast majority of sports I have ever tried (team sports and individual sports), I cannot ride a bike, and struggle to drive a car (I recently failed an automatic test with 3 majors).

I also have terrible organisation, and struggle to keep my room tidy, particularly when I am under a lot of stress. For instance, recently, I have been juggling University work and applying for jobs (and taking a driving test!) and my brain just got too overcrowded to focus on domestic tasks! Other people see this as laziness, but I'm not sure if I can do anything about it. I am relatively bright academically (Got a First in Business Management at undergrad and am borderline Merit/Distinction at MSc) and have good written communication.

I feel as if I don't fit into the ''autism category'', but then I don't have a dyspraxia diagnosis either. Therefore, I feel that I'm neither one nor the other, which makes me feel really insecure within myself. I have been told, however, that there is so much overlap, that there is no point in seeking an official dyspraxia diagnosis. Would you suggest that I pursue this, or do you think this would be a waste of time (and money!)?

Thank you so much everyone!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Think I was wrongly diagnosed with autism, and that I have dyspraxia instead

Post by Tom fod »

Sadly I don't think people being labelled wrongly is that uncommon. There is a lot of crossover in the traits for Neurodivergent conditions and we all present uniquely. If the person who assessed you was not all that aware of Dyspraxia it's possible that they thought the Autism label would get you more/better support?

Probably the first port of call is your Doctor or perhaps your parents to ask about what they know about the original diagnosis and register that you believe the label doesn't fit.

Getting a Dyspraxia Assessment can be easier while in full time education.However, the difficulty is they may just point to your previous diagnosis and be stubbornly resistant to offering reassessment and pointing at all the crossovers as they are professionally unwilling to challenge the previous diagnosis. That said we Neurodivergent folk can and will persist!

The other Self-Declaration option is to say I have an Autism label though I don't feel that label correctly defines me and I personally identify more with the traits of/experiences of dyspraxics.

While I absolutely understand you wish to be re-assessed you're not legally obliged to declare as Autistic to everyone or anyone. If you have to pursue a private assessment you're likely talking in the region of £500+ and given your at least moderate success with coping strategies it may come back as inconclusive. It might be worth speculatively asking the likes of Dyspraxia UK, Genius Within or Exceptional Individuals to see if they can offer advice on the screening/assemments they offer before parting with your hard earned cash.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
AlexMark

Re: Think I was wrongly diagnosed with autism, and that I have dyspraxia instead

Post by AlexMark »

Tom fod wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:53 pm Sadly I don't think people being labelled wrongly is that uncommon. There is a lot of crossover in the traits for Neurodivergent conditions and we all present uniquely. If the person who assessed you was not all that aware of Dyspraxia it's possible that they thought the Autism label would get you more/better support?

Probably the first port of call is your Doctor or perhaps your parents to ask about what they know about the original diagnosis and register that you believe the label doesn't fit.

Getting a Dyspraxia Assessment can be easier while in full time education.However, the difficulty is they may just point to your previous diagnosis and be stubbornly resistant to offering reassessment and pointing at all the crossovers as they are professionally unwilling to challenge the previous diagnosis. That said we Neurodivergent folk can and will persist!

The other Self-Declaration option is to say I have an Autism label though I don't feel that label correctly defines me and I personally identify more with the traits of/experiences of dyspraxics.

While I absolutely understand you wish to be re-assessed you're not legally obliged to declare as Autistic to everyone or anyone. If you have to pursue a private assessment you're likely talking in the region of £500+ and given your at least moderate success with coping strategies it may come back as inconclusive. It might be worth speculatively asking the likes of Dyspraxia UK, Genius Within or Exceptional Individuals to see if they can offer advice on the screening/assemments they offer before parting with your hard earned cash.
Thanks Tom, I really appreciate your help. Are there are any online Zoom Dyspraxia groups that exist, which will help me to talk to other Dyspraxic individuals?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I'm not sure if Billy (Dyspraxic Help 4U) or Krystal Bella (of Dyspraxia Magazine) are doing anything through Dyspraxia/Dyspraxia Alliance. I was helping in running some while in lockdown but these have tailed off a bit and work/other commiittments have interfered.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

AlexMark wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:24 pm Hi everyone,

I am a 22 year old male University student studying an MSc in Strategic Marketing. I was diagnosed with autism aged 5, and was never formally diagnosed with dyspraxia, but as I have got older, I am increasingly wondering if I was given the wrong diagnosis, particularly when I look at the symptom lists of autism and dyspraxia.

As an adult, I rarely struggle with social communication, and I think that any social mistakes relate to processing and sometimes being a little socially clumsy, rather than being socially awkward. However, I have a lot of friends and I am comfortable meeting new people of all ages. People have often told me that I am polite and friendly. I also do not have any sensory issues. On the other hand, I have struggled with the vast majority of sports I have ever tried (team sports and individual sports), I cannot ride a bike, and struggle to drive a car (I recently failed an automatic test with 3 majors).

I also have terrible organisation, and struggle to keep my room tidy, particularly when I am under a lot of stress. For instance, recently, I have been juggling University work and applying for jobs (and taking a driving test!) and my brain just got too overcrowded to focus on domestic tasks! Other people see this as laziness, but I'm not sure if I can do anything about it. I am relatively bright academically (Got a First in Business Management at undergrad and am borderline Merit/Distinction at MSc) and have good written communication.

I feel as if I don't fit into the ''autism category'', but then I don't have a dyspraxia diagnosis either. Therefore, I feel that I'm neither one nor the other, which makes me feel really insecure within myself. I have been told, however, that there is so much overlap, that there is no point in seeking an official dyspraxia diagnosis. Would you suggest that I pursue this, or do you think this would be a waste of time (and money!)?

Thank you so much everyone!
Hello Alex ,

Maybe you have dyspraxia or both dyspraxia and autism .

I do not know .

I would get an assessment with genius within or another company , go through the records from childhood including the childhood autism diagnosis.

Good luck .
bookworm
Getting settled in

Post by bookworm »

I am 38 and am diagnosed with both Dyspraxia and Asperger's Syndrome.
AlexMark

Post by AlexMark »

bookworm wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:58 pm I am 38 and am diagnosed with both Dyspraxia and Asperger's Syndrome.
Oh really, if you don't mind me asking, can I ask where/how you got diagnosed with dyspraxia? Happy to message privately if you'd prefer.