PIP without an official diagnosis

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Zookster
New member - welcome them!

PIP without an official diagnosis

Post by Zookster »

So I'm looking at applying for PIP, which I have been eligible for in the past on account of my ADHD, but because I started medication it was removed.
One thing in particular at my appeal was the mention that some of my symptoms did not sound like ADHD but dyspraxia instead and because my PIP application was based on ADHD and not dyspraxia, i could not be awarded any points.

Since then I have been doing further research into dyspraxia and it does seem like I may have it as I display symptoms such as s a complete lack of coordination and balance, am very clumsy and constantly getting hurt, am hyper sensitive to touch, taste and smell.

I have tried to get a diagnosis through my GP only to be told that it is not offered for adults through NHS.
I also cannot get a diagnosis through Access to work as I am a civil servant and this was removed for civil servants earlier this year.

Does anyone know if it is possible to apply for PIP without an actual diagnosis?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: PIP without an official diagnosis

Post by Tom fod »

I do wonder if you should have taken your PIP case to Tribunal. PIP is meant to look at need irrespective of the named conditions you have. It's meant to determine whether you need financial assistance to meet the additional costs of living with your disabilities.

If ATW is no longer available for Civil Servants is that because the Civil Service Department is meant to fund any adjustments and any pre-assessment to justify the costs of providing these? Do your Dyspraxia Traits significantly affect your performance at work?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Zookster
New member - welcome them!

Post by Zookster »

Sorry when I said appeal, I meant to say Tribunal. It was during Covid, so it took place over the phone, which may have been one of the reasons.

So Civil Service Departments now fund their own adjustments, and used to fund diagnostic assessments but no longer do. The limit of what they will do is to arrange for appointments with occupational health to determine what adjustments are needed, extra rime for work, reduced workload, extra software, noise cancelling headphones, etc. and pay for these to be put in place.

The rules changed in January this year, mainly because of cost cutting reasons which came as part of a mandate from the government.

I am planning to reapply for PIP because I now also have proof that I'm borderline dyslexic, but wanted to know if I could put down dyspraxia when though there has been no formal diagnosis.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I would seek advice assistance from CAB on this. While there's nothing wrong in saying suspected Dyspraxia, I don't think the PIP Assessors have much knowledge appreciation of the difficulties Neurodivergent people experience. So often there is a real lack of empathy and they understate the difficulties claimants state and make sweeping judgements.

On a work perspective I think it is so important that public service employers and managers understand, support and stand up for Neurodivergent staff, but fear the reality is that they often fail to measure up to their mission statements championing inclusion and diversity.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)