Falling under stress/ anxiety

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

Falling under stress/ anxiety

Post by ALADDIN »

If I am stressed or anxious I fall, partly related to poor concentration / attention.

Does this happen to adults with dyspraxia ?
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Re: Falling under stress/ anxiety

Post by FrankieSoup »

It definitely happens to me! I also seem to lose a grip on things? Like, I drop stuff for no reason.
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I am sorry to hear that.

I have dyspraxia, ADHD and aspergers traits.

My coordination problems is far worse than my ADHD.

I think it is largely a dyspraxic issue.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It can be hard to determine, the physical unsteadiness is v much in the dyspraxic sphere. However, the chance of falling can be much increased by inattention or being too focussed on something occupying our mind rather than walking along being mindful of all the potential hazards including thin air potentially posing a trip hazard.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
idetepard
New member - welcome them!

Post by idetepard »

There are often situations when you need a quick answer to a health question. You can get a qualified answer to some of these questions without a traditional doctor's appointment. Online doctor's consultation [illegal advertising URL removed] allows you to quickly get a recommendation for your case and dispel doubts about further treatment actions. All doctor's recommendations are saved in your account and will be available after your appointment.
angie

Tiredness and a cough

Post by angie »

I have only recently realised that it is more than likely that I am dyspraxic although I am in my later middle age. It explains so many things that I am finding it a great relief to have found out. One thing that I am uncertain whether it is a symptom or not, is a chronic cough. It is not severe, but has been with me all my adult life. Does anyone else have a cough that they associate with dyspraxia? Also, I was wondering how much other people feel that tiredness is a dominant symptom of their dyspraxia? I already know that it is a common symptom but wonder how it affects other people individually. Personally I always need at least nine hours sleep and when I have been doing something stressful such as learning a new skill in a new job for a mere 2 hours (not intensive), I am positively exhausted!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Angie

Please note a cough is not in any way a feature of dyspraxia. If you have not already, please consult a medical professional about this at the earliest opportunity.

You're right that Tiredness /fatigue can be associated with dyspraxia. However, given your cough as well, you really need to make that appointment to see your doctor and rule out more serious and worrying causes first.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
angie

Post by angie »

Thank you so much for your concern Tom.
I am truly grateful to receive your comment and think you are probably right that a cough is not a symptom of dyspraxia. However, I think i have also inherited this cough from my father who I believe may have had undiagnosed dyspraxia. It may be a symptom of Atrial Fibrillation which we both have/had. Thank you again for your concern ... very kind ... but I have lived with this cough for over forty years and as my father lived with a similar cough until he was 91, I don't feel the need to rush to the doctor (generally feeling very well) :)
... I echo another new recruit in saying that this is a very good forum.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

As an an Admin of nearly 10 years standing here but most notably as a non medical professional It would be both irresponsible and dangerous for me to have suggested your cough was just part of dyspraxia and could safely just be ignored.

AF s very much a Cardiologists area of expertise, so I'm unable to comment on any informed basis there either. If you are already regularly reviewed/seen by a doctor and the fatigue is nothing new/has not significantly increased lately, that's reassuring and it is of course your prerogative to make the choice to avoid the doctors surgery.

Strictly speaking Dyspraxia is difficulty with fine and gross motor coordination, but as people who live with it we know our difficulties do extend beyond that, including cognitive planning/executive function and the emotional/psychological impacts of being different and trying to fit into a world geared towards the neurotypical. it is so easy to start to ascribe everything to Dyspraxia and that's a sure route to madness.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

If a person has dyspraxia and ADHD, the intense can overwhelm you , making you lose coordination and fall .
Auron
Power poster

Post by Auron »

The more stressed I am the more forgetful I am. Down to stuff like forgetting I’ve just turned on the oven, or made a cup of tea.
pixiewithdocs
Getting settled in

Post by pixiewithdocs »

Yeah me too on that front - stress and anxiety make mild to severe overwhelm which definitely exacerbates the clumsiness for me. Hope you're not too stressed and anxious OP!
Aorta/tattoo the artery/with acute artistry
Ruth Wild

Post by Ruth Wild »

I feel a great sense of relief seeing people say here and on other threads that stress worsens the physical and mental symptoms. Thank you.
timeless

Post by timeless »

Last year, when I was swamped with work stress, I became a bit of a klutz. My attention span was like a goldfish, and my coordination wasn't far behind. I remember this one time, I was so wrapped up in my thoughts about a project deadline that I tripped over my own feet walking into a meeting. Super embarrassing!

My cousin, who has dyspraxia, tells me stress makes her symptoms way worse. Like, on regular days she's pretty good at managing, but when she's stressed? It's like her coordination takes a vacation. She once forgot to lock her bike properly because she was worried about an exam, and, well, no more bike.

So, if you're finding stress is making things tougher for you, it's not just you. It's definitely worth chatting with a doc or a [Suspect url removed by Admin].
Last edited by Tom fod on Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Suspect URL removed by Admin
justjan1

Post by justjan1 »

What a brilliant forum, happy to join.
Yes I fall under stress, bump into things, forget where I left stuff and only sitting still for a while, breathing slowly
and stoking my dog helps me to return to what passes as normal. :)