Dyspraxia Right to Choose

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

suzanasyayavuz
New member - welcome them!

Dyspraxia Right to Choose

Post by suzanasyayavuz »

Hi all! Im new here so apologies if this has been asked before, but I have recently seen that Psychiatry UK has become quite a popular diagnosis route after somebody made a tiktok about how you can get easily diagnosed through them if you exercise your right to choose with the NHS. Ive been looking up dyspraxia charities to see if theres an equivalent for it but have come up short. Does anyone know of a charity that I can exercise my right to choose with for a dyspraxia diagnosis? I am based in London.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia Right to Choose

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Suzanah

Welcome

I've looked at the Psychiatry UK website and can find nothing to suggest they offer Dyspraxia assessments. They do seem to offer ADHD Assessment and some people with Dyspraxia will also meet the threshold to be considered to have ADHD.

Dyspraxia UK, Exceptional Individuals, or Genius Within may be worth investigating /contacting if you can get your GP to write you a compelling Out of Area funding justification. You might need to also pursue your CCG. It seems very much a lottery whether GPs have any options at all to refer Adults for Dyspraxia Assessment in their CCG area. You might also want to loop in your Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and your MP too.

Another potential option may be via your Employers Occupational Health Service or Job Centre Plus /via Access to work

if you can afford to go private you might be able to identify an assessor from PATOSS

Please note that Dyspraxia is NOT a Psychiatric condition, though it arguably does often have a significant impact on peoples' mental health and emotional wellbeing.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)