Driving

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stibbins83
New member - welcome them!

Driving

Post by Stibbins83 »

Does anyone here drive and how long did it take to pass your test. I passed on my 3rd attempt.
Katy456
Getting settled in

Re: Drivin

Post by Katy456 »

Passed first time, no minors or majors within 3mths had to get it for a job so was rushed but actually think that helped went to do my theory test and had top marks was told by assessor “your not Dyspraxic” I always love reminding people it has nothing to do with your IQ
Shadwell

Re: Driving

Post by Shadwell »

I personally think it depends on how determined you are as to how long it takes, like I was extremely determined, and passed first time, but that was because I taken over most of the driving for the household just to get the practice in, so all the runs to the shop and back, all the runs to pick my mother to up from work, an hour every night, plus whenever my driving instructor could show up for a driving lesson due to serious vandalism to the car (it was so bad that booked lessons for twice a week for 3 months, we got to 2 weeks and 1 day before my driving test, and I had to pay for more lessons as I had run out of my original 12 hours that I paid for at the start of my driving lessons). plus learning in a new car 2 weeks, and a day before my driving test.
katherine100
Getting settled in

Post by katherine100 »

I drive but I only have an automatic driving license. Really recommend trying automatic driving lessons for anyone out there struggling! Finding the right instructor is really important too. If you don’t click with someone and are finding the lessons really stressful then change instructor. My forth instructor got me there in the end. I found learning to drive very, very hard. It took me a lot of lessons but I did pass first time in the end. I’ve been driving for 12 years now and I’ve grown in confidence over time. Driving feels like a normal thing to do for me now. I’m still rubbish at some things like parallel parking though!
GallusLass

Post by GallusLass »

I got my first lessons at 17 and was held up as hopeless by the instructor to his other pupils. I carried on with various instructors over the next 25 years until I realised you could get automatic cars. I bought one and negotiated with an instructor I knew to take me out in it. It was MAGIC! The car looked after itself and I didn't have to look down to change gear! The result was - at 42 - after a few outings in my wee Nissan Micra - I passed my test first time! I could have kissed the examiner - but did restrain myself!
Louise33

Post by Louise33 »

Hi,

Not a driver, my boyfriend is on my case about driving. I've got my provisional and I've had a number of lessons but being behind the wheel drives my anxiety through the roof. I find it difficult and stressful, roundabouts just confuse me. And while people tell me "driving is easy" and how I feel is "normal" there's just something in my gut telling me how I feel isn't how everyone feels. The theory of it is fine but my mind just blanks when it's time to practise, I hate it so I am now stalling trying again, driving is not for me
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I passed both theory and practical first time. I did spend longer than the average joe in lessons though. But that may have been more down to my instructor trying to squeeze more money from me #-o

It’s all down to the individual really. We all learn at different rates and found my dyspraxia didn’t adversely affect my learning or driving although I do prefer physically smaller vehicles because I find it harder to be spatially aware in large cars. I had to drive lorry (largest permissible under the standard full licence) for one of my jobs once, it stressed me out so much that I refused to do it after a few days.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

passed my driving test back in 1994, and that was first time with a manual car, but recently bought an automatic, as my knees are too bad to drive a manual car more than I have to which is only local. if the motorway was clear and plain sailing I was fine with a manual car, but having to constantly press the clutch when in constant stop/start or slow moving traffic, ie under 7 mph, then it was too much for my knees.the tickover on my old car was 7 mph with the clutch fully out, and no pedals pressed. but yeah people can pass with enough practice. like taken me 3 months of learning, god knows how many hours playing an arcarde game called "Hard Drivin' " as only arcade game that had a gearstick to practice with, numerous times off road in a trailer park with a vehicle, numerous times driving the trucks around the yard as was a fitter for a HGV firm, numerous hours out with my father from driving to the local shop, picking my mother up from work, to an hour or so a night out in the car, so really determined to pass first time.