Flare-ups dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

kaizmoto1489
New member - welcome them!

Flare-ups dyspraxia

Post by kaizmoto1489 »

Short FAQ: What Chemical Can I Use to Clean My Memory Foam Mattress Topper?

It doesn’t take a genius to know your sleeping experience depends wholly on the quality of your bed. But from our experience and according to a lot of experts, a lot of people out there are sleeping on average to outright bad-quality beds. If you want to be as comfortable as possible in the night, there is a small upgrade that you can make.

And that upgrade is a good mattress topper.

You Might Also Enjoy: best mattress topper reviews

You don’t have to throw away your old mattress and replace it with one that’s going to cost a fortune. All you have to do is place a new, high quality mattress topper on top of your regular mattress and you will be right as rain. The next time you lay down on your bed, the topper will work in tandem with your mattress to support the shape of your body and relieve stress from your body’s pressure points. The best topper for bed will also be very breathable, allowing your body heat to be vented out into the environment in the night so that you won’t wake up sweating all over.

On the market, there really is no better type of mattress topper that can do all of the above better than memory foam mattress toppers.

But memory foam mattress toppers have one unique quirk that has troubled (and cost) a lot of new memory foam topper owners: they cannot be machine-washed.

We have received messages from a lot of people unaware of this quirk and threw their topper into the wash once it got dirty. Rather than a clean topper, all they got from out of the wash was a lump of deformed, wet foam that’s completely unusable. It is not possible to fix that unlucky a good mattress topper, either, and it must be thrown into the trash.

The thing is that memory foam— while a flexible and extremely comfy material to lay on— is very delicate. When it is exposed to treatment as harsh as a washing machine on full blast, it will break. In order to clean your topper, you must follow specific steps and use the correct kind of tool and chemicals.

Very specific chemicals, in fact. Using the wrong type of chemical to treat your topper will actually make matters worse by creating even more stains and possibly even bad odors on your topper for mattress.

Picked For You: What is the best mattress topper

For that reason, always have a bottle of vinegar with you while you’re cleaning your gel infused memory foam topper. The other type of chemical we recommend using is baking soda. You can use a mixture of baking soda and water to treat stains on the mattress topper. Detergents are fiddly, since you really don’t know which type works and which type won’t. But overall, get a good brand, pour it into a spray bottle, and spray a small amount on your topper (make sure you don’t drench the foam), most likely you’ll be fine.
Last edited by kaizmoto1489 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Flare-ups dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

Hi there and welcome. Glad you've found the Forum and hope it helps.

Some days can definitely be more difficult than others and a bad start can leave us playing catch up to try to somehow rescue the day rather than having to write it off. Stress, frustration, anxiety + dyspraxia make for a very vicious circle and the elements feed off each other to provide chaos

See also my response to Dyspraxia symptoms/panic attacks?

I see it as my Goblin alter ego having somehow gained the upper hand and now running amok. I have to either grin and bear it or somehow coax and cajole or otherwise get the little blighter back under a submission hold so that the fragile/uneasy truce can be re-established!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)