Sensory overload - how does it feel?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ben A
Getting settled in

Sensory overload - how does it feel?

Post by Ben A »

Hi all,

Normally things go great, but sometimes when I start to get really stressed I almost shut down for a few days - not good.

Does anyone have sensory overload and can explain how it feels or how you deal with it? Is it a permanent thing or does it come and go?

At the moment I'm in stressed mode - sounds are almost magnified, my brain goes to mush and I struggle to remember things, and everything becomes a chore. When I'm speaking I'm consciously having to think about what I say and almost have to listen twice before I answer someone for it to process properly and worried what I say in case it sounds weird or I speak too fast and jumbled. also my vision goes a bit weird, almost like tunnel vision. I forced myself out the door to do a delivery this morning then to do a couple of jobs in town, but just don't feel my normal chirpy self. I can definitely pin it down to times when I'm feeling really pressured with work or personal stuff.
The other noticeable thing is I feel much more groggy when I wake up in the mornings, but by evening it's started to clear again and I feel my regular self, then when I wake up the next morning I feel like I did before, and gradually over a few days it clears. It did used to be really bad, sometimes lasted for 10 days or more but now not as long thankfully. I also find when I feel like this I lose my appetite a bit for a few days.
I changed to being self-employed last year and it's generally much less stressful as I work from home so that has helped things as well.
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: Sensory overload - how does it feel?

Post by Xenavire »

I don't know what is typical, but I have sensitivity in all five senses. The only one I can say that properly overloads is my hearing (when there are too many distinct sounds at once, or of extreme volume, I get massive headaches.)

I'm lucky that I don't overload more easily, but once I get one of those headaches, I get a little sluggish and I can get disorientated. The only fix I've found is a decent sleep.

I used to have problems with grogginess in the mornings too, and I found keeping well hydrated (even to the point of keeping water nearby in case I wake up) helped me a lot. In fact, a lot of my issues were helped by drinking more water, so I doubt that it's actually Dyspraxia related. Still can't hurt to try.
NoLimitations
Getting settled in

Post by NoLimitations »

Hi Ben A, do u suffer migraine or from sinuses? I suffer from both. I know i get tunnell vission from migraines which is related to sinus, also feel groggy in the mornings because of the sinuses. Just wondering if it is same with you. I also have difficulty with sensory overload. I can only focus on one thing at time and need to take time out after work.
NoLimitations
Getting settled in

Post by NoLimitations »

I have to agree with last post about keeping hydrated, i found this does increase my energy and concentration.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Aww sensory overload.

This is the part of my dyspraxia which switches on the easiest and quickest.

And it really is all senses competing strongly for my attention all at once.

Sound, conversation, interruption, task at hand, touch, space the feeling of being rushed and crowded.

One of my pet peeves is space. I hate spaces that have too many people in it. So shopping is always stressful. I imagine that how I feel in areas with lots of people competing for space is rather akin to what a claustrophobic feels like in a small enclosed space.

My only real solution to it is to remove myself from the stimulation long enough to regain a feel of comfort.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Ben A
Getting settled in

Post by Ben A »

6 days I felt like this, then feel my normal self again today. Horrible feeling when it happens. Maybe anxiety attacks, I don't know.

I'm usually pretty well hydrated to be honest, so not sure that's it. Usually comes around when I'm pretty stressed out one way or another. No migraines or sinus issues either.

The other thing I've noticed is my short term memory is shot to pot when I'm like it. Only thing I can remember is seeing a couple of people, but not what I talked about with them. Normally I'm really sharp with it all too.
ATJ
New member - welcome them!

Post by ATJ »

I have sensory overload aswell, it does feel awful, I feel weak and feel as though I can't do much for a couple of days, after 3-4 days I bounce back but that's after I've fully rested or had a day off.
bookworm
Getting settled in

Post by bookworm »

Yes, I sometimes experience sensory overload when I get stressed.