Hello fellow Dyspraxics

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

andica
New member - welcome them!

Hello fellow Dyspraxics

Post by andica »

Hello
I'm a middle-aged and fairly newly diagnosed.
I have experienced a mixture of relief and I suppose a little sadness.
The former because I realise why I have struggled with certain things for decades, the latter because if only I and everyone knew, and things could have been understood, allowing me to thrive.

I am now very positive, and eager to discuss and compare with others.I have only met one other Dyspraxic person, and that was amazing, although he didn't share some traits that affect me the most.

So my condition if you like goes something like this: Poor short-term memory/working memory; easily lose concentration(e.g to the extent I drop screw tops from bottles on the floor every day); socially awkward - the concept of small talk or 'mingling' are as alien to me as putting your hand in a fire, and I can't handle groups above 3 people very well; terrible fine motor skills- from shoelaces to any kind of craft or drawing; can't find my way around buildings.
Those are the main ones I can think of now(though some will surely enter my mind after I've finished posting).

What deterred me in the past from thinking I was Dyspraxic, was that I am/was very good at ball sports. Always either the best or one of the best at various sports at school.

But now I know better, I want to embrace it with like minded souls.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello fellow Dyspraxics

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Andica

Welcome We rather contradict and confound convention in a lot of ways and having ball skills would cause many to totally dismiss the notion that you might be affected. They’d be wrong as it is more than being able to do up ones shoelaces tie a tie or give silver service at a dinner event without covering the guests in the wrong dinner orders and getting fired.I get phased by small talk if a customer calls and asks me how my day is I’ll be confused and often a bit suspicious about what he she wants and how quickly they they plan to demand this.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)