Finished.

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Finished.

Post by SwervingCentaur »

I'm really angry. I've been having one of the worst weeks of my life. On Monday after work, my father was rushed to the hospital, suffered a cardiac arrest, almost died, so work was the last thing on my mind, spent the night at the hospital on Monday, didn't get home until eight until the morning, couldn't get through to the number, as they give so many different options, finally sent a email, and due to me being in hospital all again on Wednesday, spent another day in the hospital again, had my phone on flight mode, because I was in a hosptial. I've only had about 20 hours sleep since Sunday night. Got a call from work, saying that they changed the workload, and I was no longer needed, but when I was at work, I remember how much the workload was, there huge and big boxes.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Finished.

Post by Tom fod »

Sorry to hear this and I can understand that popping into work to inform your boss/management in person about the circumstances for your absence was unlikely to have occurred to you given you were understandably preoccupied but you have to ensure you let your employer know that you needed to deal with a family emergency
Is it possible to pop in and see them to discuss this? There presumably must be a direct number you could have called to let them know and again given the circumstances they might be willing to take an understanding view

Strictly speaking they're well within their rights to terminate your contract for failing to take reasonable steps to inform them of why you could not attend work.
Last edited by Tom fod on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improvement of response
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

I did tell them.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Unless you emailed your boss personally the email may not have reached the right person quickly enough. Do you know if he/she received your email?

I would seriously go to see your boss to explain in person and/or write to HR people to give your account of what happened.

How is your Dad now
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

The email reached them as they said it was fine. Can't go see the boss, as my agency is based in Northampton. My dad is doing fine now, he's out of the ICU, he's eating, drinking, no longer being sick.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

They said it was because of the change in the workload, which I don't believe as there was enough to last a couple of months.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Glad he is better

I would press the agency to ask why this has happened. Unfortunately via an agency you likely have a lot fewer rights than a directly employed person and your tenure is very much at the whim of the client company with whom the agency place you.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

None of us are at our best in situations like that; it was a perfect storm. I think maybe you should explain that to HR if you have the opportunity. Be kind to yourself.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

I'm allowed back in the summer, so it might have been the workload changing.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I'm so glad. Best of luck to you
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

They've got back in touch with me and moved me to another department.