How do you feel about your diagnosis ?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

How do you feel about your diagnosis ?

Post by ALADDIN »

I feel upset, it came too late, without any support from the NHS.

It explains my problems, diagnosis as a teenager or as a university undergraduate .

I think Key4Learning and DANDA have been great but the Dyspraxia Foundation is far too weak,too slow, designed for parents of children.

The National Autistic Society cannot really support borderline asperger syndrome cases and not neuro-diverse people.

Borderline asperger syndrome, does not help me at all practically !!!!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: How do you feel about your diagnosis ?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Aladdin

Effective help and support for dyspraxia is still too hard to find.

If it helps any, maybe try to see it from the perspective that you've been sufficiently resilient and able to develop and employ coping strategies that it has taken so long for it to be detected/recognised.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

How I feel is my diagnosis seems pointless at times. It hasn't really changed anything and because of its 'invisible' nature it's not even something I really tell people or work... nothing would change. However, I am very glad to have the explanation there - miles better than being frustrated not having any diagnosis and constantly wondering. :D Just... that's all it is, satisfaction for my own mind - not helpful otherwise.
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

I am pleased to have a diagnosis, as my own labels are far worse, the labels I gave myself were thick stupid misfit odd, so compared to those dyspraxia is infinitely better! Also as an OT I have been able to study and hope to self treat with sensory integration therapy ....I just need to find time to sneak to the park when the kids aren't there to use the swings and to head to going zone! :ball: