Losing Your Temper When Doing Stuff & Accidentally Breaking Things

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jake468
Getting settled in

Losing Your Temper When Doing Stuff & Accidentally Breaking Things

Post by Jake468 »

Anyone else relate to this? I hate breaking stuff / irreversible reactions (mistakes which you can't change, undo or amend in any way) as well which makes it even more upsetting :(
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Losing Your Temper When Doing Stuff & Accidentally Breaking Things

Post by Tom fod »

Yep definitely. Whilst I know things life rarely go to plan I do find myself being cross/frustrated when it proves to be like that. I think it is doubly annoying as we have to put a great amount of care and attention in when trying to do stuff only for it still to go wrong. I think our perspective of how much it really matters can also become skewed so we feel especially bad about it.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jake468
Getting settled in

Post by Jake468 »

Indeed. I personally find myself in this sort of perpetual cycle of frustration-damage-dismay which can be quite upsetting, I suppose the best thing to do is to approach all things with a calm state of mind...though that can often be hard to maintain ](*,)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I know the feeling. Did you see the article about perfectionism posted by ScreenGreen http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... f=4&t=4850

Having a sense of humour is helpful though sometimes the humour is hard to maintain, Guess it makes life interesting to an extent.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Simon
Getting settled in

Post by Simon »

When I loose my temper (I mean really loose it) I have to have somekind of physical release and hit something made out of wood with my fist, although I must say ikea furniture isn't made from wood but from laminated cardboard hence the dent in my kitchentable :)

I try to buy only solid build stuff so there is less chance of accidentally breaking it.
For instance make sure your smartphone/tablet cover is made of two layers, one polycarbonate layer that's realy hard for general protection and a silicone layer for absorbing the shock in case you drop it.
My smartpohone drops from my hands at least once a week :)
Time is something that may change me, but I can't change time so f*** it.
tak88
New member - welcome them!

Post by tak88 »

Smart phone dropping once a week? I think mine drops at least once every 3 hours... If I didn't have that hardcore cover and screen protector I'd never be able to have one.
strawberrysmoothie
New member - welcome them!

Post by strawberrysmoothie »

I thought I was the only one.

I think my anger firstly stems from not being able to do said thing and so I end up breaking things.

In the past week I've broken a fridge door, cupboard door and the hoover but not all out of anger, just because I'm such heavy handed.

the hoover was because I was getting so angry and stressed over tying up the wires at the back of the hoover, like in a loop and it kept unravelling so I kind of saw flashes of red and chucked the hoover.

my anger is never directed at anyone, more myself over not being able to do such simple tasks around the house

it makes housework very difficult for me and i hate it so much.

I am just in the middle of trying to put fresh sheets on the bed and I'm finding myself getting angry as I can't get the bottom sheet on.
pixiewithdocs
Getting settled in

Post by pixiewithdocs »

Losing temper and getting upset- all over the place. Caught the spoon in my tea while putting milk away and smashed it all over the floor in the same afternoon as having broken my friend's lovely walnut chopping board by dropping it and yanking the knob out of the oven. Needless to say I had to hit the sofa with a teatowel for a bit, then cry on the floor :( we clearly all take it too much to heart!
Aorta/tattoo the artery/with acute artistry