Obsessions

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

RGabb
Getting settled in

Obsessions

Post by RGabb »

Hi,

Does anyone else find that they get easily obsessed with things and cant balance interests between things easily?

When I was younger I had some really strange obsessions, I used be obsessed with street lights, drains, aerials, signs all sorts. Its still similar now but the obsessions are different for example I am obsessed with the singer Ariana Grande I love her and her music, and think she is amazing and very beautiful and have posters and pictures of her on my wall. I also have an obsession with 4G mobile internet and also BT telephone lines fibre cabinets etc and electrical things, I still occasionally get a bit obsessed with lighting again or latch on to things easily and get obsessed.
ScarlettDarKrYDER
New member - welcome them!

Re: Obsessions

Post by ScarlettDarKrYDER »

I think this is natural with dyspraxia on the dyspraxic website for symptoms it tells people that they can have addictive behavior for example mine is the internet I can't go for long periods without being online but then again that's where most people I am friends with are and they seem to understand me better than people in the real world. But that's just me.
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi,

Yeah I can relate to this being obsessive about things is a common symptom of Dyspraxia.
I'm guessing its something to do with the fact its on the autistic spectrum.
Jake468
Getting settled in

Post by Jake468 »

Captain_Ludd wrote:Hi,

Yeah I can relate to this being obsessive about things is a common symptom of Dyspraxia.
I'm guessing its something to do with the fact its on the autistic spectrum.
It is? :O
Forgive my ignorance, only recently heard the term so I'm not that knowledgeable, this actually makes a lot of sense as I have been asked a few times if I am autistic.
Nomenklatura

Post by Nomenklatura »

Yep, totally normal for us! I get obsessed by things easily, palms species, soviet era fighter jets, instant noodles, whatever, I read everything I can about them, until I move onto the next thing. It does make you good at trivia, but I have had to learn to keep it in check to stop it interfering with work/life.
Nyx
Getting settled in

Post by Nyx »

I go through phases, it can be anything from music genres to exercising/ eating organic food to sleeping
RGabb
Getting settled in

Post by RGabb »

Yeah that seems to happen to me to, its never set, well some are currently and has been for a while, but the rest of my obsessions are phases.
dannii1991

Post by dannii1991 »

Yeah i am obsessed with the singer Kylie Minogue, i have to listen to her music everyday or else i get in a mood.
i cant help it , i love her voice is soothing, i have a tote bag with kiss me once (name of kylie recent tour) i have a fake kylie case that also says kiss me , i have two tour t-shirts, dvd's and perfumes.. but im not doing anyone any harm :P

dont worry about it, we all have obsessions is someway :)
Ein

Post by Ein »

I get obsessed with other people's body language, looking for clues a bit like a detective and I rant too.
holleee

Post by holleee »

I was just about to start a new topic on obsessions, but then I found this!

I'd say my obsessions are a bit odd. They've lasted from a week to a good few months. I am currently obsessed with watching prison documentaries on Youtube, but before that I was obsessed with eggs and ate around 15 of them in the space of a week. Before that, it was mackerel and anchovies. A few months ago I did nothing but research into skateboarding and trying to learn to skate, but that came to an abrupt end. I've also had an obsession with the flute and the guitar, both of which I've now dropped. Sometimes I get a bit embarrassed because I do latch onto these things pretty strongly and then drop them very suddenly. It does feel a bit childish and a couple of people have taken the mickey a bit. But I was just wondering if these obsessions were just part of my personality or whether they were part of my dyspraxia, but these posts clear that up very well, so thanks!
Mcewan90
Getting settled in

Post by Mcewan90 »

I can become very obsessed with movies and music I can watch the same movie over and over and I listen to the same music everyday. I can also become obsessed with historical events like 9/11 and Titanic, I could spend hours on-line reading articles and watching documentaries but everyone is different :-s
Jake468
Getting settled in

Post by Jake468 »

Mcewan90 wrote:I can watch the same movie over and over and I listen to the same music everyday
I've been listening to the same music all day every day for the past 5 years or so, so I see where you're coming from
RGabb
Getting settled in

Post by RGabb »

same i listen to the same music every day unless i hear something new and i like it and i get hooked to that instead, i get obsessed about things like historical things sort of depends what it is, im a bit obsessed about the new leisure centre for some reason, and fluorescent lights as long as it not too bright and amoungst others.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I think obsessions aren't necessarily a bad thing if they provide comfort and an escape.We just need to take care to try to ensure they don't become all consuming and interfere too much with reality and our responsibilities.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
tillybob

Post by tillybob »

I was obsessed with The Offspring for about 10 years and got over exited if any of their songs came on the music channels or heard any of their names (but anyone could get obsessed with musicians) but I was crazy obsessed with them. Also I used to like those guitar hero games, and when it first came out I felt like I had to get it straight away just in case they sold out and I would miss out on it. (I was like that with a lot of things) And like now, I am obsessed on reading about dementia most days and want to learn as much as I can about it. I got really exited when I found out I can do a dementia awareness course at work. I am over enthusiastic about things I want to do well in.