Possible diagnosis - but milestones fine as a kid?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

coffeecup2087
New member - welcome them!

Possible diagnosis - but milestones fine as a kid?

Post by coffeecup2087 »

Hello,

I've had a screening at college for dyspraxia (on the recommendation of my teacher) and got 65 on the Kirby questionnaire.

A lot of the adult questions seem familiar to me but I was definitely on time or early walking and talking as a kid (according to parent)

I think I was ok at bike riding and I really liked swimming (though I became slower and slower compared to peers as I got older).

Is it possible to be dyspraxic if your very early milestones were fine?
screengreen
Power poster

Re: Possible diagnosis - but milestones fine as a kid?

Post by screengreen »

Not totally sure, do you know if you crawled? and how much help did you need to learn to ride bike etc.? My daughter is probably dyspraxic but walked early however, she did not crawl and only learned to ride a bicycle with me moving her legs to give her the idea. What about learning to steer te bicycle, using cutlery writing neatly etc. Its about a group of things not just one and remember early milestones are someone else's recollection, good luck
coffeecup2087
New member - welcome them!

Post by coffeecup2087 »

I don't know about crawling..

It's hard to tell re how much help with bike as I was so young and don't have anything to compare it to!

Cutlery I think I was fine apart from being a messy eater.

Handwriting was good but slow (not slow to learn but speed of writing was and is slow. In secondary school I gave up joined up handwriting and now my handwriting is awful).
Nyx
Getting settled in

Post by Nyx »

I think it is possible. I don't think it matters what age you do something as it is how you do them. I hit all the right milestones as a kid and was walking at the right age, but I wasn't walking like everybody else even now I can't walk straight. Each dyspraxic is different.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi

It's best described as a spectrum. Some people really struggle others manage quite well some/most of the time. I can understand your confusion but these things are subjective. When I look at the dyspraxia questionnaire I find it impossible to give a definitive yes/no response. I believe in part it's because I don't want to be defined by the label or worse other peoples opinion of what I theoretically cannot do due to my being dyspraxic/having dyspraxic tendencies.

You've got this far without it being noticed probably based on a combination of having your own coping strategies for doing the things that are perhaps easier for most others and also due to the general lack of awareness of the condition. Awareness is improving slowly in some respects but still has a way to go. Whether you receive a formal diagnosis or not please feel free to read peoples' posts on this forum and contribute if/where you wish.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)