hypermobility?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

dyspraxicyoungperson
Getting settled in

hypermobility?

Post by dyspraxicyoungperson »

it means that my muscles and tendons are more flexible than most people's. So I was wondering if this is common with dyspraxia?
Tim G
Super poster

Re: hypermobility?

Post by Tim G »

Yes hypermobility is common for dyspraxics, its not something that soley dyspraxic people have but it is common to have it as well as dyspraxicia.
The real Mr Potato Head
dyspraxicyoungperson
Getting settled in

Post by dyspraxicyoungperson »

ok cool. :) thanks for responding I wasn't sure that anyone would.
O:)
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

I've long suspected that I might have this as I've always had a ridiculously supple body.
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

After I had a dislocated shoulder I consulted two orthopaedic consultants who worked in different locations.

The first consultant, who was Irish, was certain that I have fairly mild hypermobility which is due to insufficient connective tissue. She also noticed that my skin was soft and prematurely lined.

The second consultant, who was Indian, was not so sure that I had hypermobility. Interestingly, he said that while I was somewhat floppy for someone of European ethnicity, I was not especially floppy compared to your average person of Indian origin.
Lotsofsounds
New member - welcome them!

Post by Lotsofsounds »

Hi contributors,

Thanks for bringing up this issue. As it has been dancing around my mind on and off for some time.

I can move my body in weird ways. Which caught a lot of people by surprise in the Drama group I take part in.

:banana: :banana: APPLE...anyway haha.

I did the yoga style bridge easily and a forward roll in Drama.

Though as I was told I am dyspraxic...as you could imagine; I do these things with little grace and in a disorganised fashion. :D

Who knows I might be hypermobile or I might not be. :D

Interesting though, is it not?

All the best,

Owen
My signature is somewhat uninteresting.
But chat to me, you'll love me :)
jzhyrone

Post by jzhyrone »

Often joint hypermobility causes no symptoms and requires no treatment. Many individuals with joint hypermobility syndrome improve in adulthood. Treatments are customized for each individual based on their particular manifestations. Joint pains can be relieved by medications for pain or inflammation. Proper physical fitness exercise can strengthen muscles and stability, but the nature of the exercise should be designed to avoid injury to joints. ;)asp batons
griffaliff
Getting settled in

Post by griffaliff »

Hey,

I have heard that this can be a trait yes, a lot of dyslexic people I know seem to have it too.

My mum is a yoga teacher so I did yoga as a child, I don't do it any more but I still find I can get into difficult positions with ease. It often surprises people when I show them how flexible I am straight of the bat.
tlofty82

Post by tlofty82 »

I have this. I dislocated my knee running into a door frame! Years later it popped,out on its own and a doctor diagnosed me with hypermobility. I also have unrelated things like celiac, ostereoprosis, and a lot of other unrelated things.