Sudden/overwheming urge to sleep

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Roxy86
Regular Poster

Sudden/overwheming urge to sleep

Post by Roxy86 »

Do any of you ever feel like you want, need and HAVE to go to bed, no matter what time of day it is?? :S I know this sounds bizarre but say you are in the middle of something, anything, day to day and find you have to excuse yourself from the room/person/situation and go home to bed? (if you aren't already home??)

It's a horrible feeling and there is no overcoming it, for me personally, when I feel the urge, if I try to fight it often makes it worse :( Obviously at work, this in unavoidable, but, most of my shifts are only 4 hours these days and I find I can 'cope' with that, just. On an 8hr shift though? It's a nightmare!! I often pump myself full of Red Bull or Costa's to try and 'stay with' the land of the living, so to speak :S lol!

Does anyone think it's just because I am often over concentrating, concentrating so hard or for too long, that I tire my brain out? Is that a feasible/plausible explanation?? :S
-Hakuna Matata-
Clumsy_Not_Careless
Getting settled in

Re: Sudden/overwheming urge to sleep

Post by Clumsy_Not_Careless »

Definitely! And I did not have a clue until recently that fatigue is a common trait of being Dyspraxic. No matter how many hours sleep I get, whether it's 4 or 10 I can still feel exhausted during the day. The worst is coming home from a 3-4 hour shift and feeling exhausted. I'm hoping to be a teacher in the future too, and it makes me wonder how I'll cope if I feel run down after mini shifts in a shop! xx
Roxy86
Regular Poster

Post by Roxy86 »

Hi Clumsy_Not_Careless and welcome to the forum! :) Hope you haven't been too tired today?? I did a 4hr shift today so am ok... So far! Lol! Interesting that fatigue and dyspraxia seem to go hand in hand... I awaiting a diagnosis, due Tuesday!! :D Nervous! :S x :) x
-Hakuna Matata-
Mopps
Getting settled in

Post by Mopps »

Welcome to forum. I have just read your post and will tell my sister about it. I get very tired out too and can sleep a lot my older sister always thinks it is something else wrong with me but I tell her it. Is to do with the Dyspraxia and that it is that that is making me very tired. But my sister was thinking it was something serious. I had a host of tests and X-rays this year not cause I was complaining of,tired to the Doctor, she just wanted to give me an over haul. But any way it proved everything was ok which was good. I hated the tests and X-ray and blood tests Doctor issued for me to get. The whole lot stressed me out and had me in tears which is the emotional side of the Dyspraxia I hated the X-ray as I read on line Dyspraxics hate them because it is difficult getting the selfs positioned correctly which I found true the Radiographer was very good and said I could come back another day to get it done. I said listen if I have to come back again I will not do so as I am so upset just now. Some how we managed to get the xray done but it was afwl having to płace my chest right up against a screen. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this one or not I do hope never ever again. But after each of my appointments I had to come home and ly down and have some sleep time as I was so very tired. I have had a very busy day today and have not had tea yet but need to ly down first and sleep then get so e tea then crack on as tomorrow I have the hairdressers some work then meeting a good friend and her grandson for Lunch then we are coming back to mine to decorate my Christmas tree. When They leave about 4pm I will probably have too ly down again and sleep again. So I do understand about the extreme tiredness You are ephedrine cling. Mopps
maria
Regular Poster

Post by maria »

I do get tired easily and need a lot of sleep, but if I'm feeling sleepy it often helps (if I'm in work or somewhere else I can't just nod off) if I have something to eat. I don't mean a big meal, just a quick snack like a sandwich or piece of fruit. Even a couple of biscuits with a cup of tea does the trick tho I find something more substantial works best. Doesn't make me buzz with energy but it does pick me up for a couple of hours longer.

Hope that might help someone else! :)
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I have had times when really needed to sleep - espshly if I don't get enough sleep over a fue days and /or has been a busy and long time at work.
There are times though (often at work) where I just get to the point where I need to stop and eat to stop feeling tired and get me through the shift. (Ironically around the break time) feeling tired and lack of energy is but not always linked to a lack of food / energy - if like me your doing a lot of manual work then food defiantly is needed.
The real Mr Potato Head
Fordinand
Getting settled in

Post by Fordinand »

I feel like this too. Not at work though, but I have a very busy job so I get distracted.
But say, if I was to sit down at home to do some writing, or I'm watching tele, then eventually i just go to sleep and there's no way out. I find myself getting ready for bed really late just after waking up. Can fall asleep at around 7:00pm and wake up at around 10, just to get ready for bed and sleep until morning! Then I battle to get out of bed ha

I have this course for 2hrs though on a Thursday. It's draining. After 15 minutes I feel my eyes getting heavy. I struggle to keep my eyes open. I get worried incase it actually looks like I'm struggling to stay awake! I zone out and everything. Their voices can be droning too.

Honestly though, I love my sleep ha but I love to daydream anyway. It's something that I can't help doing.

:)
Roxy86
Regular Poster

Post by Roxy86 »

Hi Fordinand :) I know what you mean about zoning out... People often tell me to 'cheer up, it might never happen' and am told I often look pained and/or distant :S I don't mean to though, I just find it hard to concentrate! :( Work have been fantastic though, even on a 4hr shift they give me a 15min break after 2hrs which is not normally allowed but they make an exception for me, as it says in my psychological report that I need regular breaks and tasks need to be broken down into smaller tasks so I don't get overwhelmed :)
-Hakuna Matata-
Fordinand
Getting settled in

Post by Fordinand »

Hi :) Yeah, concentrations hard isn't it. If only everyone knew how hard it was for us.

You're lucky ha we can't do that here but we could take it easy if we wanted. Not going to be easy tomorrow as I've got a one to one with a child all morning so I'm going to be drained following him around. Then comes my 2 hour course ha fuuuun!

Maybe I could still have tasks broken down like you though. Hmmm. I've recently bought 2 books, one about dyspraxia and one about dyslexia (to help my friend) but it has bits about dyspraxia in there too so hopefully that'll help me with concentration etc

My college tutor ages ago allowed me to take a walk whenever I became distracted as I get quite physically restless. But I never did since I'd have to walk out the room infront of others! :rolleyes:
Roxy86
Regular Poster

Post by Roxy86 »

Ferdinand, I also applied and was approved for a disabled persons bus pass, with an accompanying letter from my GP and neuropsychologist as I can't drive do to my lack of attention span/inability to focus/concentrate. My driving when I was having lessons was described as erratic! :S Lol! :D You may find this book useful, it's called Living With Dyspraxia, A Guide For adults With Developmental Dyspraxia. By Mary Colley :) Do you get any other help/have any coping techniques/strategies?
-Hakuna Matata-
Fordinand
Getting settled in

Post by Fordinand »

That's good that you get a bus pass :) I'm guessing that makes life easier!
I haven't tried learning how to drive yet so we've yet to know how that goes! Although, I don't know if I'd be a big fan of driving. I think I'd rather be driven anyway.

Funnily enough, that's the book I ordered. Got it today so I haven't read it properly but I hope it helps :)

I don't have any help or techniques really. Although I'm trying to find an app on my phone that has a daily routine/schedule. I do well with routines, I just struggle with making one! And committing to it in an environment where I 'don't have to' :!:
Roxy86
Regular Poster

Post by Roxy86 »

I'll admit, the book hasn't really taught me much because learning to tie shoe laces or ride a bike isn't really something that can be taught by word, it takes practice doesn't it, and patience, something which I don't have a lot of :S I tend to get overwhelmed by the smallest/simplified of tasks and become frustrated with myself as a result. I have learnt to break things down into what I like to call 'joblets' and try rewarding myself with something I enjoy afterward! :D Lol! Although the book HAS helped me to understand myself better, and reading it, I can certainly relate :) As for driving lessons, you never know until you try and I really enjoyed mine at first but the novelty soon wore off when I found I'd hit a brick wall (not literally of course! Lol! :D) I just felt like it wasn't clicking/sticking or sinking in :( Now I earn less money then I did back then, even attempting to learn in an automatic seems out of reach for me... Still, got ma bus though! :D
-Hakuna Matata-
Fordinand
Getting settled in

Post by Fordinand »

Yes, you don't need a book to ride a bike! I have tried, but not enough I guess.

Joblets ha I like that. Maybe I should make joblets :P I don't become overwhelmed as such, I just daydream so much. It's always been an issue with me! Jobs at work are fine, but at home it's just impossible. I rarely get anything done!

Yes I agree. I'm still going to try with driving. I have a feeling that I won't be too bad (kind of!) but who knows. But I'm not sure if my spa coal awareness is on point. E.g. I'll turn the corner in my house and actually acknowledge the corner yet I still manage to bump into it! I'm the worst for whacking my little toe on the wall haha
The only problem with driving though is that I'm financially unstable. I've got spending issues and I can't organise my money! It's so hard for me :/ I think I've got an online shopping addiction to be honest!

Ha yes, you've still got your bus card :)
I like buses yano in my seat waaaaaay at the back ;D
Roxy86
Regular Poster

Post by Roxy86 »

Ah yes, being financially unstable. I've got budgeting/lending/borrowing issues and I can't organise my wages each month :S I don't believe in credit cards, and only spend what I earn... But, I do worry how I'll cope in the future. When I first first get paid, I think I'm loaded and go shopping, indulge (am v much an impulse buyer) and often lend people money for petrol etc and this then leaves me short for the rest of the month. Also, I have to see what the money is going on, and cannot understand when I am paid this money back, if they have leant ME money in the mean time, how much/who owes who what :S Its all VERY confusing to be honest and something I need to get my head round, and soon! :)
-Hakuna Matata-
Fordinand
Getting settled in

Post by Fordinand »

I agree. So many people owe me money! Lending is so hard to control. I leant my sister over £50 the other day and she already owed me £26. She now owes me another £9 on top!

I too struggle to control my spendings. I know what I can and can't afford but I just can't help it :/ I'm broke as we speak! I'm currently trying to reduce my monthly payments to catalogs haha I'm a crisis I swear!

Borrowing isn't the worst for me.

I worry about the future too! No idea when I'll ever move out. I'll end up living on the streets!