Noise!

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

katienatasha
New member - welcome them!

Noise!

Post by katienatasha »

Hello,
I am new to this, i am 19 years old and am in my first year at university. But i am really struggling with the large amount of noise that there is. i share a block with 21 other girls but most of them like to party, which i dont!
I really struggle when it is noisy around me and some of the girls i share with are noisy 24/7. this really stresses me out and i can only work when it is completely silent. i have told them how i struggle but they carry on doing it... and i dont want them to not have fun because of me but i hoped they might be a bit quieter at some point!
Anyone else had something similar? how do you cope?
thanks x
Jim
Super poster

Re: Noise!

Post by Jim »

Hi, over sensitivity to noise is a familiar symptom to many Dyspraxics.

Unfortunately your flat mates are unlikely to change their noisy behaviour for many reasons, partly because they aren't doing anything which is outside of the "norm" and hence they'll be oblivious to how it affects you (whether you've told them or not).

People without these kind of problems don't consider the perspective of those who do, mostly because they're simply not aware and have no way of knowing how it feels.

There is little you can reasonably do to change the environment of the block, so instead you'd have to consider various strategies to help you cope. For instance earplugs, noise cancelling headphones etc.

Or maybe arrange to do your studies at a library or if the worst comes to the worst.. consider changing your accommodation because as I'm sure you're fully aware getting people to quieten down is unrealistic, especially when those people are still mainly teenagers with a fair bit of maturing still ahead of them.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
katienatasha

Post by katienatasha »

i guess you are right ... i new that i couldnt stop them from making noise all together ... and i wouldnt expect them too because they are just having fun but it does really stress me out... and what gets me was that before now i have been watching telly in my room (quite quietly because i dont like too much noise) at 11 o'clock and they have knocked on my door telling me to be quiet because its making too much noise!
How oes everyone else cope because i cant stand head phones! almost as much as i dont like noise!
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I think the main difficulty seems to be that you have limited options for finding a quiet area, which is why i suggested using a library to do your uni work in.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
katienatasha

Post by katienatasha »

aww your right that i am limited ... even with the library, i think i have chosen the one university where the library doesnt want people to be quiet! i think that i am just going to have to drive the 2 hour journey home every weekend!
Thanks though!