Hello!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Teamee
Getting settled in

Hello!

Post by Teamee »

Hello everyone! I'm 29, female, and living in the UK just outside London.
I thought I was dyspraxic for a long time; I went to my GP about it when I was a teenager and he was very dismissive unfortunately, this prevented me from seeking further assistance for several years but eventually I was
diagnosed with dyspraxia when I was in my 2nd year at uni, aged 22.
I'm looking forward to chatting to everyone :)
Andrea
Getting settled in

Re: Hello!

Post by Andrea »

Hey, Welcome.

Sounds like you have a similar situation to me. Knowing something is not right, but not getting the diagnosis for
ages.
Heres hoping it makes life easier :)
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

Hi, I'm also 29. I was diagnosed when I was 15 but the school didn't support me properly. I volunteer in a charity shop and belong to a singing group. I like cats and reading. Hope you enjoy the forum. Message me if you want to chat.
Teamee
Getting settled in

Post by Teamee »

Thank you :)
Yes, it was a real 'eureka!' moment, a friend's sibling was diagnosed and I didn't even know what it was, and when they told me I just thought "that's what I have!!".
Creative, I'm sorry that you weren't supported. I feel that I was let down throughout school as nobody picked up on it but I think having a diagnosis and still not being supported is worse!! I was lucky that at Uni following diagnosis they were really good. I get the impression that schools now are a lot better at providing support which is good to hear!!!!
I'm looking forward to chatting lots :)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Welcome to the forum Teamea.

I know kind of how you feel, well my school teachers did pick up on it very easily, as it was seriously affecting my handwriting speed to the point that I would do 3 lines off the blackboard compaired to like about 20 lines on the blackboards, and the other kids finished 5 minutes or so before, but then made me the bad example to the whole class when I was in school. I was diagnosed Dyspraxic when I was 10, and finally found out about the diagnosis when I was 30.

but 6 years on, and finally settling down to life with the condition.

Mike
Teamee
Getting settled in

Post by Teamee »

Mike, do you mean that you didn't know that you had been diagnosed but staff at your school did? Or that dyspraxia was never fully explained to you? Either way it's not a good situation... And poor you to be made an example of like that! Can really knock your confidence especially if it happens repeatedly. How incredibly unfair. It seems that a lot of people had bad experiences like this unfortunately.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I was diagnosed by the GP at the age of 10, but we never got told the diagnosis until I was 30, which was when I chased up my medical records after seeing Dore on tv. but kind of knew there was something in my medical records but didn't know what until I viewed them myself.

as for the school it was more a case of them making me out to be lazy rather than putting the effort in to find out what the problem was. whereas the lazy one was the english teacher. the other teachers would ask me where I was on the boards, and just shake their head. but the english teacher was the worst. so much so that in the end I just didn't bother going to english. much rather the extra hour in bed ty!!

yes I got into trouble for it, but not as much of a headache about it than being in english class. so that was what I done for the last 2 years of school, well if you can call it two years, as was in hospital for 6 weeks at the start of year 10, and finished the easter of year 11.
Teamee
Getting settled in

Post by Teamee »

That's so bad!! Surely against codes of ethics for the GP not to inform you (or given your age at the time, parents / carers) of the diagnosis in way that you would have been able to comprehend, and then go on to manage. I'm really horrified.
When I went to the GP he said (verbatum) "have you heard of 'yuppie flu' [ie, M.E.]? Dyspraxia is a condition like that, it's made up". Wrong on so many levels!!!
All of my teachers thought I was lazy, it was horrible. They just couldn't understand why I was always covered in ink, and slow to copy things down off the board, it was really frustrating!
Is Dore the programme which is designed to cure people of their dyslexia (presume dyspraxia too?)? Have you any experience of it?
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Yes, well if my Doctor had the nerve to suggest that Dyspraxia was "made up" I think I'd mention "health ombudsman" and then watch the colour drain out of his face.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

When I went to the GP he said (verbatum) "have you heard of 'yuppie flu' [ie, M.E.]? Dyspraxia is a condition like that, it's made up". Wrong on so many levels!!!

I am disgusted by his attitude- he does not deserve to be a GP! As we know all too well, dyspraxia is a very real condition, one which I'm sure none of us would ever claim to have just to get some sympathy. There is no excuse for GPs not knowing what dyspraxia is.
Andrea
Getting settled in

Post by Andrea »

I cant believe how people who are supposed to know what they are talking about, dont have a clue. As teacher, I know how obvious it is when students have trouble and are not putting it on. It amazes me how many just dont bother to look properly. And then there is the other side. I work in a special school and asked for one of the students to be assesed for dyspraxia ans was told that becausehe already has 2 'labels' they wouldnt even be able to get the assessment started, so its not worth trying!!! I was, to say the least, a bit ****
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

Is Dore the programme which is designed to cure people of their dyslexia (presume dyspraxia too?)? Have you any experience of it?
I have been on the Dore programme and, whilst I would not like to say that it 'cures' dyslexia or dyspraxia, after having been on it I certainly noticed an improvement in my organisational skills and my driving. If you're thinking about doing it be warned that it's expensive.
Teamee
Getting settled in

Post by Teamee »

I agree with the posts about the GP's attitude, I really wish I'd complained but I was in a very bad place at the time and unfortunately I didn't. It's so horrrible knowing that I can't be the only one who was treated in such a dismissive way. I might have a look into Dore, it's a shame it's so dear though! I guess it's not available on the NHS? Though maybe some of its teachings can be replicated elsewhee?
Andrea, the thing you said about the student not being assessed is so sad to read :( I think it's good he has an empathetic teacher though :)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I was looking into the dore programme around the time, but at over £2,000 and that is not to mention staying somewhere over night, and travelling expenses, then I decided not to. as I got greater plans for that kind of money if I had it.

as I am not sure, and they don't give a really clear indication of how survere someone with dyspraxia has been helped, let alone someone with dyspraxia in adulthood, and already been through schooling.

but as the neurologist said to me a few weeks ago, I will help get tests done, but the whole dyspraxia thing then you have had it all of your life, and it is about the best you can hope for. so I'm not going to help you with that.