Struggling at work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Joe
New member - welcome them!

Struggling at work

Post by Joe »

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some advice. I'e been off sick from work for two weeks due to stress. It's a full time job, but I have really been struggling. By Wednesday evening I feel exhausted. Each day I worry about making mistakes; the environment is very high pressured.

The job is my first full time job. Naturally I'm grateful to be in work. I do worry however that I won't be able to do the job anymore.

Has anyone else had similar difficulties or have any advice they could share?

Thanks
Last edited by Joe on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
joy
Power poster

Re: Struggling at work

Post by joy »

Hi Joe
I ended giving a job up several years ago because of all the stress but jobs were a lot easier to find .You dont say what you do but is there any other job within your firm that you maybe able to handle the pressure better that you could get a transfer to a different department.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hi

Thank you very much for your reply. It's a big organisation, although many are being laid off. I have an appointment with a counselling person shortly; I will ask about redeployments.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Talking to the counselor about it and your options is helpful and as your in a big company there could be other options whiten the company

What work do you do?
The real Mr Potato Head
tara
Getting settled in

Post by tara »

Thank God... You guys are in a good position so here I am asking for advice..

I am completing uni this year(mature student) two kids of my own hubby bla bla etcetc

So thinking of teaching maths hence thinking of doing pgce.. Its supposed to be difficult for normal people to deal with never mind those with Dyspraxia...

Tim I too get problems with things hanging over me... I cant handle the pressure it takes me a long time to get through things.

On the other hand I do have all the traits that come with being Dyspraxic... I do love being around children and I like doing mathematics.. I just dont want the pressure.. and I do not know if I should go into teaching as there are children to deal with in class which I think I would be fine with and teaching would be hard work preparing all the lesson plans outside of work etc ... I do think the hollidays that teachers get would be advantage as it would give me a little break.
I have worked in offices before and I feel the work/people I never manage to click with.. I have worked in other places where I have been dealing with people and it seems to be hard work but something I eventually get to enjoy... I am completely split... I have absolutely no idea...

Any advice/opinions would be most appreciated... Just felt you guys are better to advise as we know how it is being Dyspraxic.

Do I go/strggle into this field and then see how I can be adjusted into it? Or do I choose something that will make my life easier? and step away from it?
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

What type of students are you aiming for the younger type or the senior school pupils.I would think there would be more pressure on teaching older children. Teaching the younger children I wouldn't think be as stressful as teaching the older ones as it wouldn't be so complicated. Only you know whether you would be able to handle the pressure and you may be an advantage for the younger children as you know how Dyspraxia affects children and might be able to pick things up early as you know how we can struggle with everyday things and be able to understand them more.
tara
Getting settled in

Post by tara »

Hi joy

I was advised by the educational psychologist who diagnosed me to go for secondary as there is only one subject involved but primary involves teaching many different subjects!!

Anyway

I would say that Joe sorry this is your thread definitely speak to your councelling team where you work you will be able to find some way forward hopefully...

Tara
Joe

Post by Joe »

Thanks everyone. Things are moving slowly at the moment but I'll update you when I have news. :)
anwjon

Post by anwjon »

I've also been struggling in work even though I've been in employment over 20 years but have been redeployed a couple of years ago due to cancer treatment. Have made out I'managing but I'm not so spoke to boss yesterday and see occupational health next Thursday so fingers crossed. Thanks, it has helped to read others advice re work. Anw.