dyspraxia sleeping problem/fears...

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

TSDREX
Getting settled in

dyspraxia sleeping problem/fears...

Post by TSDREX »

Hello new to this forum lol.
But i ofc suffer with Dyspraxia, haven't really researched about dyspraxia since recently...
i had talking problems when i was younger and so on, But i have a huge problem when i try to sleep. And just wondering if anyone else suffer with sleeping since i searched it up and said fear/may can't sleep.

When i was younger i used to be scared of the dark and what not, and i ain't scared of the dark since ages ago but i sometimes wake up late at night/hear sounds like footsteps i don't know if its just my brain processing or just the house. And when i do hear them kind of sounds i get really panicy/frighted like a panic attack to say...

and even if i don't hear sounds i still have trouble sleeping.

Anyone else suffer with sleeping?

Many thanks,
Tom.
T.HANLON
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Re: dyspraxia sleeping problem/fears...

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Um, I don't get the fear/panic thing really, but I've never slept much (4/5 hours is a good night for me) and even when I do sleep its very light and fitful.
I remember reading somewhere that problems with sleeping and sleep patterns is one of the symptoms of dyspraxia.
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

I sometimes have sleep problems if I have abad night I sometimes become stressed and worry about whether I am going to have another bad night when I go to bed the following evening and so it snowballs into becoming anxious about sleeping.it all stems from the job I used to have many years ago and not being able to sleep and going to work tottally exhausted and carrying on for several weeks in a job that I was under pressure.until I eventually ended up giving my job up.but I still suffer from sleep deprivation from time to time.if you have dyspraxia you are more prone to anxiety panic attacks ,and stress so I have seen this on a list when reading about dysprraxia.q
LuluBoo
Getting settled in

Post by LuluBoo »

I do especially in a strange place
I also worry about emergencies in the night too :Eek:
TSDREX
Getting settled in

Post by TSDREX »

Thanks for the feedback People.
i guess different people with Dyspraxia have different effects ayy,
and wow emergencies? :O

Because alot of people i personally know without Dyspraxia can sleep within 30 mins with me takes a hour or two, and always tired next day. -_-
T.HANLON
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

TSDREX wrote:can sleep within 30 mins with me takes a hour or two, and always tired next day. -_-
Yup same here, it normally takes me ages to drop off.
LuluBoo wrote:I do especially in a strange place
Again me too, I never sleep properly when I'm not in my own bed and bedroom
minniemoo
Power poster

Post by minniemoo »

me too...
ages to drop off, wake at anything! sleep in bits during the night..long time since I had a solid night's sleep.... :D
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I go through phases in that I'll a fairly regular sleeping pattern for a while and it changes into a sustained period of lower quality sleep or sometimes insomnia. Sometimes I have to actively change my body clock if I have to work nights.

Rather more recently, I've had a period of low quality sleep. It'll take me longer than usual to drop off and when I do it's a poor quality sleep which doesn't refresh me and subjects me to unnervingly weird dreams.

I'm not particularly intimidated by this, but it is sometimes affected by stress and anxiety from work and I have had on occasion a "paralysing" nightmare. In which I've been in peril and unable to move, my conscious wakes up in the worst part and I can feel that my nervous system has locked my body and I have not be able to move. It's not very pleasant but I don't dwell on it too much.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
minniemoo
Power poster

Post by minniemoo »

Takes me hours to drop off too! No matter how tired I am!!! Grrrrr.... :D

So always tired tooo....

when I was a kid my imagination kept me awake too - I had bizarre fears - not of the dark, but other weird things...thankfully that doesn't happen so much now - as life is weird enough! ;)
Sugar Kitten
New member - welcome them!

Post by Sugar Kitten »

I often find it hard to sleep at night, I'll lay there with my head churning new ideas and revelations, and then I struggle to put it aside, just increasing the thought until it becomes like a full concert for a song (I'm an amateur musician), where I play every instrument as though there are clones of myself or use telekinesis to play all instruments simultaneously without touching them and then I will discover I am still awake, just daydreaming, that I should get to sleep, start to worry.. and then..

I'll have obsessive thoughts about a particular activity which I can't alleviate (such as snacking on an olive from the fridge) and I'll spend the next what seems like hours planning that task finding myself being unable to sleep until I carry out the plan despite the part of me just wishing to sleep. Or I'll fall asleep briefly while planning only to wake up a few minutes later and not be able to sleep again.

The only way to get to sleep is to go and carry out the activity, then go back to bed and then hope I don't find something else to think about.

However.. I can fall asleep in seconds on a public bus, or car.. especially when I'm not supposed to!
The worst was when I worked at a computer and desk I would fall asleep while doing manual data entry, as though my brain was receiving so much information it kept crashing. I just realized I get really sleepy when carrying out repetitive tasks with a short sequence repeating often about a few times every minute or so.

I've also noticed that its worse when I have something 'important' to do the following day, or a specific schedule to keep. Or if there is a change to the routine. Normally I work 3pm till 11pm however some days I go in early at 11am to do a twelve hour shift and on those days I have nightmares where I am late for work and then wake up in a panic stricken state only to find out its 5am or 7am and wake up before the alarm clock.

My mother used to wake me up for school and she would sometimes tell me things while I was asleep and then I would have found out later I had a whole conversation without even knowing in my sleep. Luckily my mother is very patient and understanding! :bumps:

\:D/
Alice1

Post by Alice1 »

I know what you mean about the fear in the night. I am a good sleeper and its often said i can sleep anywhere but there are random nights that keep me awake for no reason what so ever. When i was little i would lay still staring at my wardrobe and as an older person i have nights where i hear noises and think somebody is breaking in. suddenly my imagination has run away with me and im shaking and cant sleep until im so tired from worry. It sounds ridiculous to me that i should be so worried about something so silly. I've found thinking about something comforting over and over again helps me to fall asleep and I have used to same image/story sequence since i was little and it still works to help calm me down.
EmRose9

Post by EmRose9 »

Hi!
I have never really thought to link dyspraxia with sleeping problems/night time anxiety, so reading this thread made a lot of things click for me also. Like many people who have replied, since I can remember I have always had trouble drifting off to sleep despite feeling tired and got frustrated with my friends at sleepovers when they could always fall asleep instantly! This unfortunately manifested into my mind going into overrdrive and making sleep even less likely, and this led to panic attacks and I have read that they are often associated with dyspraxia.
Thankfully I have been able to make some lifestyle changes (reduce alcohol consumption and trying to exercise more despite the obvious aversion to it) and this seems to have improved sleeping dramatically! :)
She lifts her skirt up to her knees, walks through the garden rows with her bare feet laughing.
Roxy86
Regular Poster

Post by Roxy86 »

hi all! :)

I have what I call 'puffer dreams' but I believe the correct term is 'Night Terrors' :S lol!

Since, well, as long as I can remember I have dreamt of what I can only describe as a 'figure' who 'comes to get me' and stands in my way, just stares at me, at which point the air around me becomes thin and I cannot breathe so I panic, and hyperventilate, it would seem.

Nowadays I am a little older, I have learnt to control these dreams, I still know something bad is about to happen but I can take action in order to prevent it, sometimes even telling this 'figure' that I am NOT afraid anymore, because I know I am merely dreaming and will wake up soon! Lol!

I have also learnt that this is called Lucid Dreaming, and is THE best feeling in the world, being able manipulate these dreams and be invincible, it is a form or escapism for me now, I can do whatever I want, without fear of consequences!! \:D/
-Hakuna Matata-
yvonnel
Getting settled in

Post by yvonnel »

Like many I have always had problems falling asleep and have irregular sleep patterns . I often wake up in the middle of the night remembering something I need to do and have to get up to do it or the solution to a work issue comes to me .I go through long periods of insomnia poor quality sleep and even when I am sleeping well I have very active sleep I sleep walk and talk and often wake exhausted
hmarsh

Post by hmarsh »

I do my best to go to bed at regular times during the week usually around 10.00 to 10.30pm, I find falling asleep fairly easy but often wake up at 3.00am and it can take up to two hours to fall back off again!! I rarely feel motivated/energised during the day and this leads to mood swings.