A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jim
Super poster

Re: Good Hobbies/Activities for dyspraxics

Post by Jim »

This is my hobby

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cWcO9fsg0yA

I wouldn't nessacarily call it a good hobby for dyspraxics though unless you're bonkers like me.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

I would like to second archery, I was in a club until a year ago, great fun and little cost after the cost of a bow but clubs normally have spares.

My favourite sport is shooting, for the same reasons as archery, no communication is required there's no hand eye coordination anpart from lining the sights up and it's increases stamina in upper body muscles from holdin the rifle. It can be reasonably cheap if you are near a good club.
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

AnnettettennA wrote:I really love rock climbing. It uses pretty much all your muscles and is generally a very good work-out, and fun!
Hmm sounds really interesting but I'm not sure its for me personally.
I have the hand eye co-ordination and fine motor control of a 6 year old that combined with my poor spacial perception means I'm clumsy on the ground let alone 40 feet up :) .

I have to admit though it does sound kind of fun thanks for the suggestion.
PhilB
Getting settled in

Post by PhilB »

I'll second rock climbing. I used to go once or twice a week, and really enjoyed it. My 4year old daughter loves it as well and is pretty good despite being dyspraxic - so shouldn't matter if you have the co-ordination of a 6 year old! ;)
Peculiar
Getting settled in

Post by Peculiar »

My gross motor skills are bad. When I run, I feel as if I'm going down a steep, loose-gravel road and I could fall head first any second. Jumping and throwing, and also hitting a baseball are nearly impossible for me. I do have really good fine motor skills though. Thankfully. I am an artist and going to Academy of Art University for my BA in Painting and Drawing. I can paint, draw, sculpt, sew (somewhat lol). I also play guitar, piano, bass, and I sing, but that doesn't have anything to do with my hands. I can also cut hair and do makeup. I wish I could dance, but I have no body rhythm (not to be confused with my musical rhythm which is natural). My body movements are too clumsy and awkward, but writing, drawing, and playing an instrument have proven very successful and fulfilling.
foundit
New member - welcome them!

Post by foundit »

My young daughter does well in piano. Her kindergarten teacher approached and said she had some coordination issues and reading problems. I enrolled her in piano with a gentle teacher. Within a few months the teacher reported back, "I don't know what you have been doing with her, but she has improved so much". She began using scissors and writing in a way that we could read it (still holds the pencil "wrong"). She also took off on reading due to reading the piano music. I just enrolled her in tennis and she's slowly getting better. I have kept her in the beginning class 3 times. Her teacher makes it fun and not matter if she's hitting the ball or not.

I take pleasure in knitting. Not sure that's something you would be interested in but it's small, portable, and provides a sense of achievement. It was frustrating learning how to do it though.
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

I also knit, surprising for a boy, but the sense of satisfaction is immense but it takes me a long time and it's full of holes!
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
phil8715

Post by phil8715 »

I'm into gadgets such as mobile phones, tablets and other tech. I'm able to update a phone with a customised version of the operating system, on computers I like to play rail simulation games, and I'm also able to change an operating system on a PC.
Timmycom

Post by Timmycom »

Instruments!

Pick an instrument. Literally, they can help connect the two sides of your brain together, since with most you have to use both hands separately to be able to achieve the desired sound, this helps create more pathways between the two sides of your brain and can help you become less clumsy in fine motor skills, since your always developing communication between the two. I have been playing guitar for 8 years now, not because of the reasons I just said, in fact I didn't even know it did help until I read a study recently about musical instruments increasing general ability. But I do think I am more able to do things like... Not spill stuff XD And not randomly fall over for no good reason... Which has happened to me before.

Similarly, anything that really makes the two sides of your body do sort of different things is good hobby! So I would imagine swimming to be good in that effect, maybe not breast stroke but other strokes might be.
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I was talking to my disability tutor earlier this week (who’s also dyspraxic) and she highly recommends Yoga, says its worked wonders, so I’m thinking of giving it ago.
I've done some reading and it is pretty much universally excepted as being one of the best activities for dyspraxics trouble is something really worries about doing it, I'm horribly uncoordinated and really inflexible.
This all sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me, plus I've always kind of thought of Yoga as more of a women’s' thing which makes me feel even more uneasy about it (sorry if that’s not "PC" but that’s just my feeling).
Has anyone here got any experience with Yoga? and if so what did you think ?
Andrea
Getting settled in

Post by Andrea »

Have you ever considered Taekwondo or another martial art? People usually think of it as quick and involving decnet coordination. Yes it does take coordination, but you can work at your own pace and take as long as you need. The instructors tend to be very patient, especially if the club has children training there as well. I have been doing it for 5 years, and although I still have trouble with the balance and coordinating, it has helped me a lot. It's one of those sports that is a social thing but you also work at your own pace.
It would help with your flexibility as well.
I tried Yoga but was bored within about 5 minutes. (and confused)
TKD is a good stress relief, good fun and is a huge boost to your confidence when you finally get the hang of that kick.
prittm

Post by prittm »

I have dyspraxia and having read the book caged in chaos(good help)I found it was a good guide to what I should do as a hobbie.the book says find something you enjoy doing and do it lots.That is exactly what I did.I enjoy drawing cartoons and now when I find myself getting low I draw and the best thing is when i have completed my pictures I give them to my friends and it always puts a smile on their faces.
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

prittm wrote:I have dyspraxia and having read the book caged in chaos(good help)I found it was a good guide to what I should do as a hobbie.
I think I may have to get myself a copy of caged in chaos I've heard a lot of good things about it.
tillydog
Getting settled in

Post by tillydog »

10 pin bowling is great. I bowl every Saturday in a League. We're only a small league and vastly varying in ability, but we all have fun!
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

tillydog wrote:10 pin bowling is great. I bowl every Saturday in a League. We're only a small league and vastly varying in ability, but we all have fun!
I do go bowling occasionally and it is a good laugh, my performance seems to be a bit variable though some time I bowl 150-60 some times 40-50.