Dyspraxics can be fussy eaters

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

Dyspraxics can be fussy eaters

Post by ALADDIN »

Anyone fussy about the food they eat, the drinks, they drink ?

Do you have any allergies ?

I believe, dyspraxics are more likely to have allergies and are more likely to be fussy eaters than the general population.
Saint_celestine
Getting settled in

Re: Dyspraxics can be fussy eaters

Post by Saint_celestine »

Im fussy for eg ill eat cheese but for some unknown reason cant stand it melted
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Yes, a few but I don't think it's a dyspraxia thing as such as absolutely everyone has different tolerances within their taste buds.

With me there's a few textures I find very uncomfortable. Like in many fruits such as Banana, mango etc. But I can tolerate them in smoothie form.

Or almonds, I hate the texture and the way they feel in my mouth but ground up it's perfectly fine.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

I used to be terribly fussy as a child - I hate fruit and vegetables, and more or less lived on toast and marmite, madeira cake, meat and mashed potatoes (with no gravy - although I love gravy now!) I even became anaemic at one point! My poor parents!

I still don't like certain textures, and I don't like certain things together, even if I like them separately. Generally I eat most things, but I can't bear "messy" things - I used to scream as a child if I had the slightest bit of dirt on my hands! I don't like mayonnaise, and only like plain sandwiches with just ham. And yet I will eat Indian food and Chinese, and spicy food, but I don't like eating messy things with my hands.

I had never connected this with dyspraxia - but I can't believe how many of the random things about me seem to fit with it!

Now I'm aware I feel more confident and I tend to plan ahead and not worry so much. After all a lot of people have their own foibles, whether or not they're dyspraxic.
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

I was a fussy eater when I was a child and so was my son but we are both not to bad now. On the check list when I took my son for testing for Dyspraxia one of the questions was is your child a fussy eater and also is your child a messy eater as both can be a contributing factor in Dyspraxia. It is a well known fact that we overreact to stress which is why we are often more susceptible to allergies eg. eczema and asthma and also infections ,often frequent ear infections when younger and also food allergies.
minniemoo
Power poster

Post by minniemoo »

my eating is odd, not so much fussy (in my opinion) but odd....for example, i like milk chocolate (cadburys in the main, currently twirls mostly) before 6pm and dark (70% cote dór) after 6. As i am constantly telling my partner, i'm not a fusser eater, i just know what i like :D :D
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

I won't eat mushrooms, sprouts or cauliflower due to texture and taste. I've only just go into eating courgette but it's still a bit slimy to eat. I also don't like beetroot since it stains my other foods on the plate, I eat things in an order generally, and I don't like the taste.
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I can eat most things savory especially fish (yum,yum,yum :) ).
I don't like any thing sweet and I don't (or very rarely) eat chocolate all I seem to taste is SWEET and that drowns everything else out.
Oh and I cant stand Jelly but that's not the taste it that horrible wriggly texture that sets my teeth on edge.
janetp
Getting settled in

Post by janetp »

I suffer from quite a few allergies and sensitivities which makes life a bit more careful than the norm, avoiding wheat products ( gluten)is certianly better than the symptoms, ahh!.. it can make me so sick and causes rashes etc,
Oversensitifity, oh well I can recommend gluten free chocolate I am making a gluten free rocky road as a sweet treat for christmas the only thing is everyone eles likes it as well, its a good thing I am a sharer.
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

Yes I can be a fussy eater (should be grateful for being able to get food, when so many in world have to do without, or have very little etc)

For me I am scared of what I am eating sometimes, due to so many health scares, this food causes an increase risk of a type of cancer or that every week etc. or eating more of this food has a decrease in cancer etc. I should not believe always what I read and hear in the news until more is proven.

I am okay with most foods, its when it comes to adding sauces, spicy etc. (possibly got a very very weak stomach) and prefer to keep things simple. red meats I have never been a big fan of possibly down to taste and the health scares
Fish we rarely (mainly because my mum does not eat fish) only my dad eats it. The closest I come is Fish Fingers and Scampi, as for things like mayonnaise etc I do not like I prefer plain and simple.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I think dyspraxics can be fussy eaters defuntly as we can be hypersenstive to a lot of things - temprecher, taste and food texture being some of thoes things.

I am not exactly fussy in how I eat now but I have been changing my diet to more of a natural / traditional diet that is based a lot more on traditional correctly prepared foods insted of a lot of the junk that is avaible in the supermarkets. This has come from learning about the modern diet and how bad it really is for us
so I tend to do a lot more cooking and preparing food now then I did before - for others who dont understand it does seam odd, whats the point and isent that just bad to be eating etc.

Philip - there is a lot of info and theroys and then counter info and thearies about food. My advice would be to do your own reashearsh insted of beliving what the docters, medical and drug companies want you to know, look into traditional whole foods and also check out the book 'Nourishing Traditions'
I could say more but thats another topic :P
The real Mr Potato Head
Peculiar
Getting settled in

Post by Peculiar »

I do have allergies, but not to food, more indoor/outdoor and year round. When it comes to food, I like certain textures, but other textures I tend to stay away from. Tapioca pudding, for one thing, despite the delicious flavor, I can't stand the texture. I recently have been able to overcome my hatred for shrimp texture and am now able to enjoy it once in a while. I'm pretty happy about that.

Also, as anyone ever felt like, when they're eating, their throat muscles feel like they're closing up and is sometimes hard to swallow? I get like that when I eat bread and peanut butter for some reason. I also can't eat green apples anymore because my throat closes up. I also can't eat spicy food because my mouth is extremely sensitive to taste. Anything hot (spicy) will hurt way too much. I have a rather bland diet, but sometimes I go crazy and get jalopeno poppers from Jack in the Box, and although they are a little spicy, I can handle them. It sucks I can't eat anything spicy because it smells so good!