Big Brother What's the point?

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

david456
Power poster

Big Brother What's the point?

Post by david456 »

I can't see the point of Big Brother myself. People put into a house, where they are watched for 24 hours. How about sticking 24 hours of a shopping centres CCTV on, instead?
It's in my opinion, a load of nobody's just trying to be famous and make money. If someone actually had a talent, fair enough, but what exactly do Jade and Chantelle do?
I don't agree with this instant fame business. I don't find a load of people in a house and watching them do things entertainment.
The only reason it's on is because it's cheap tv, like interactive quiz shows.
Phone voting brings in a fortune.
My rant on reality tv over, anyone else have any views.
Walltowall
Getting settled in

Post by Walltowall »

--
Last edited by Walltowall on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I am far away from Big Brother land. I have watched some past series and as with many things it comes down to a general interest in people, particularly in the interaction between people; who's rowed with who, who fancies who, etc etc. I don't think it's so far removed from what makes people watch soaps (something I've never seen the appeal of myself) but with a reality twist that brings in a wider and somewhat difference audience, perhaps in part from the extreme element of the format.

As for 2 Pints I can see who they're targeting, in that it's got a very studenty humour-base, but I think the acting is pretty damn wooden and yes I'm unsure why it gets all the publicity it has received. Maybe the Beeb are just wanting to make some money out of the DVDs but I can't imagine watching hour upon hour of it would be that much fun.

David - I generally object to this whole cult of celebrity from Hollywood actors (many of whom strike me as very much overrated) to those talent-less wannabes we see on reality tv and so-called talent shows. It may not be seen as cool, but give me BBC4-esque TV anyday!
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

OK, I agree that the 'celebrities' that BB can produce are sometimes really useless- like Chantelle, for instance- but look at all the COOL ppl that have been in Big Bro and have made an honest sucess of themselves-Alison from BB2 is a brilliant presenter for This Morning- and she got that job through talent and personality, not simply that she was on a reality TV show (although YES, it did help). Big Brother is ace- they take all the crazies from society and pile them into the one house for our sadistic entertainment, what could be better?! As i said in the 'fan club' thread, everyone makes out like they hate it because its full of talentless, blundering wannabees (which your right, it usually is) coz its seen as a rather tacky, tasetless show- but thats the beauty of it; it IS tacky, it IS throughly tastless- evictions are tabliod splattered pantomimes- yet thats why every Friday night, around 8 million of us stay in and watch it!!! Go on- you love it really......................

PS- 2 pints is throyughly rubbish- I could do a better sitcom, lol!
Goodbye, and have a pleasant tommorrow!!
I swear to drunk im not God.....
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

Big Brother is ace- they take all the crazies from society and pile them into the one house for our sadistic entertainment, what could be better?!

That is what worries me, if you put people, who might not be stable into a volitile situation, who knows what can happen, one person who left the show threatened to kill himself!

I can't see that as entertainment. People doing pointless tasks and talking behind each others back. Too much of that in real life.
No one is genuine- some people are fake in more ways than one. lol.

You don't get an accurate portrayal of people due to selective editing. You see what the producers want you to see and not everything thta occurs.
You can't possibly build an accurate portrayal in an hours show, when there are 24 hours in a day.

It's the money that is made for a show that costs all of a few thousand to make compared to a film or drama, which costs 2 million. No wonder new programme makers don't get a look in. Reality tv is killing programming.

It's worrying that so many people tune into this drival and that it sells so many newspaper's, surely they should be consentrating on their live and problems, rather than someone elses. Young children viewing things take what they see and hear on board. Is everything talked about and acted out in that house normal? (asking don't know, heard there was some worshipping task or something (is that normal?))

At least soaps are acting and sometimes helpful, for raising awareness of things and it keeps actors in work, but I think escapism and Big Brother is one step too far.
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

"Psychology, messing with weak peoples minds... "

Carefull there. If you think psychology only messes with weak peoples minds then you don't understand psychology ;) Brainwashing techniques are just as effecitve on people who know they're being brainwashed but think they're strong enough to resist than they are on people who don't know what they're in for. *resists the urge to start the scientology-rant*

Most TV is pointless. At the end of watching it you really aren't any better off, nothing is created or improved, you get up and get on with life. The exception is where you learn something or are inspired, but lets put that to one side for now as in most cases it's unintenional on the part of a shows designers and not the reason a person chooses to watch it.

The reason people watch TV is to be entertained. I found series one of big brother highly entertaining and watched almost every episode, fascinated. I'm really interested in people, how they act, what makes them tick, so I really liked the show. (The psychology invariable made me cringe though) The way that a person reacts to being in the big brother house, being watched all the time, the dichotamy between having to get on with people in a confined space, but needing to beat them at this game over the long run and so on made for very fascinating viewing to me.

Now I can't stand the show. I've got everything from it that I want to get. They change the format, put in challanges and so on, but it doesn't change the core of what the show offers, and I think I've got everything I'm going to get from that. In my opinion the show is no longer needed and it's time to let it die gracefully (or as gracefully as it can now) and move on.

But my opinion, sadly, is not the only one that matters (sometimes the world just isn't fair) Many people seem still entertained by it, I don't know any of them personally but I choose to believe that the viewing figures aren't just made up. I don't know what people are seeing in it anymore because I can't talk to them, (well I can & am here :P What I mean is I haven't in the past) I'm just happy to know that some people are still entertained by it and that's enough for me. Like the football. Couldn't give a **** about which geographical, genetic and cultural factors can produce the bag of mostly water most capable of kicking another bag, this one filled with air, into a load of metal and string - but some people do so let them enjoy it an I'll go back to enjoying myself by rearranging magantised areas to produce the 0s and 1s resulting in the RGB values most pleasurable to me.

C'mon. Everything we do is ridiculous when you look at it. The only thing that really matters is whether it makes us happy or not. (No I'm not sure how to reconcile this view with the Brave New World scenario)
Mark Reynolds
Getting settled in

Post by Mark Reynolds »

The only aspect that interests me about Big Brother is that people actually watch it or will willingly take part in it.

It's well known that the producers psychologically screen candidates to give them the maximum chance of being able to watch people having violent arguments or making love to each other. They then put them in a situation that will ensure the maximum amount of backstabbing, and the contestants know that eveything they do is being filmed. I bet the producers would have been secretly delighted if the person who threatened suicide had carried out his threat on camera; think what that would have done for ratings!

Big Brother appeals to the same elements in its audience as gladiatorial contests did in the Roman Empire. Curiously, a successful gladiator would gain celebrity status, and while some gladiators were slaves, others were free citizens who would voluntarily risk death in the arena in return for money and fame. I might add that there were even some female gladiators - part of the attraction was that they were immodestly dressed by Roman standards.

It's nice to know that things haven't changed much over the last two thousand years...
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

The editing is too selective to produce an accurate portrayal of anyone, you don't see 23 hours of normal stuff, you see an hour of clips, with things not so normal, usually staged, like challenges. You see what they want you to see.

](*,) It's really sad that people don't get to see new original programming and dramas from young programme makers, when a programme that can be made on a shoestring and rake in millions of pounds in telephone votes take priority. They will do an idea to death until they can no longer milk the cash cow.
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

Don't you think it wrong, that you are only getting a programme to view so that money can be made, through voting?
It could be the most popular programme in the world, but if it wasn't making such vast sums of cash, it wouldn't exist.

I think it's a real shame, that people with real talent can't break into television, whilst people with no obvious talent can and will make a tidy packet afterwards, through a Reality TV show.

A question that interests me, is where do you draw the line with reality TV, what does it take for you to stop watching?
Walltowall
Getting settled in

Post by Walltowall »

--
Last edited by Walltowall on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

Portugal vs Holland, provided alot of entertainment on ITV, plus it's England's next opponants, 4 red cards!

a film with Russell Crowe was on Channel Five- A programme on Italy was on two, sounds quite educational, didn't watch it, but write up suggests it was ok.

My Family on BBC1, is funny and is always worth a watch. That was the direct competition to Big Brother Sunday night for terrestial tv.