Brain damage

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dishwasher
Getting settled in

Brain damage

Post by Dishwasher »

Does anyone/research etc suggest that dyspraxia is the result of brain damage?
joy
Power poster

Re: Brain damage

Post by joy »

Dyspraxia is a disorder of movement involving impairment of the ability to carry out skilled activity or other impairment of primary motor pathways controling movement and it can be either developmental or aquired.The main areas that are affected are The sensory pathways , The motor system,The central nervous system as a whole.
Usually a cluster of abnormal primative and postural reflexes are present and will interfere with the development of control over balance and motor skills .If these reflexes remain present they may impede motor ,eye functioning ,eye hand co-ordination and perceptual skills leading to frustration,hyperactivity and hypersensitivity.

Starved of oxygen at birth could be one of the factors and many other reasons have been suggested but it is highly unlikely that any one single factor can be identified as the cause and is more likely to be a combination of several factors. Aquired dyspraxia can be aquired by a head injury , stroke or some other insult to the brain,Dyspraxia has been called over fifteen different names over the years which includes minimal cerebal palsy ,which usd to state that if we didnt have fully control over reflexes some of are cerebal palsy remains.So technically I could say that I have mild cerebal palsy although its not obvious.
Dishwasher
Getting settled in

Post by Dishwasher »

Thanx for the info.
Does anyone find that its easier to tell people that theyre brain damaged than dyspraxic or other less well know labels?
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

I don't think that's a good idea- a lot of people would probably react uncomfortably if you told them you had brain damage. Unfortunately, there's also a very strong chance that they would treat you differently (eg talk down to you) and have low expectations of you. In most people who have the condition, dyspraxia is not caused by brain damage, but is thought to be due to an immaturity in neuron development. I've often wondered if it could actually be caused by a neurotransmitter imbalance or even be due to the effects of insulin resistance in the brain (?!), but more research would have to be done to find out whether this is the case. It is incredibly frustrating though that most people seem to have no idea what dyspraxia is- more needs to be done to promote awareness of it.
Dishwasher
Getting settled in

Post by Dishwasher »

I realise that people often react negatively to the brain damage label but it would allow me to be blunt and frank about the issue instead of trying to explain more complex definitions. Ive also sometimes said 'severely dyslexic' because most people an accept that idea even though the symptoms are different. People react badly to other labels or the lack of any label for the symptoms. I think the definition of whether the cause was brain damage is a very grey area if the it was at or before birth or very young.
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

The corpus calossum [CC] is a broad band of nerve fibres joining thev two hemispheres of the brain and how it interacts it conducts messages ,short term memory and learning between the two hemispheres of the brain, it contains millions of nerve fibres the growth of fatty tissue around nerves which protects and enhances the speed of messages takes place over a number of years each stage contributing to the next as the process continues starts with the cerebelum and vestibular area and then the motor and sensory area and links gradually to the left and right hemispheres to the brain. These pathways affect awareness of body ,position in space ,planning complex movements.muscle co-ordination .motor speed and accuracy.visual scanning ,occoular motor functioning.So without proper development the eyes ,ears and balance will not function correctly,

There are two families of essential fatty acids n-6, linoleic and n-3 alphlinoleic acid. we are mostly deficient in n-3 found in dark leafy green vegatables, stress and alcholol and too much saturated fat in your diet can slow down the conversion of these acids. The brain grows and develops but needs fatty acids to do so and lacking in them can affect vision and brain function.

There is some difficulty converting dietary fatty acids in Dyslexia,Dyspraxia and ADD/ADHD.
Dyspraxics who were put on fatty acid supplements Motor skills improved tremendously as well as bowel problems. I have been on a high dose of fatty acids for over a year now going back for a eye test my weaker eye had improved quite considerably and I can read two lines further down on the eye chart without glasses and it has now caught up with the other eye.And I have noticed the difference in other things as well.My son was also advised to go on them by the hospital.
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Interesting , but don't the linings of the nyrons improve rather then the pathways themselves . I thought latest research was Dyspraxic people have an excess of pathways so the communication is spread over multiple pathways rather then in an ND person who has fewer ??
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I have learnt / gatherd by profeshionals working with and helping dyspraxicis and ND's in genral the latest reashearsh / theroys is true. - Dyspraxicia is caused by too many conections in the brain and thus more busyer and its more complactated for singnels to get across. - In early stages of life this is normal and redudent connections will be lost. However with dyspraxicis this is not the case - the connections will still be there - therefor by its defanation dyspraxicia is a imaturitie of the brain.

Is dyspraxicia brain dammage? - Thats dependabale on how you belive your dyspraxicia was caused if it was compleatly genetic then no, but if it was due to affixation during brith or as a result of a axident, stroke etc (aquired dyspraxicia) then thats defined as brain dammage.

I can understand why we might be offended as being referd to as brain dammaged as that is quite a strong statment but really if you consider and accept it yourself then it may not be a issue as thats the fact.
For me I don't really mind if somone said that to me as thats really the truth (I belive my dyspraxicia was caused by affixation during birth) but I would also explane further what exactly it is so I am not just labled 'brain dammaged' as that can emplay a number of factors and it is a big variabable, dyspraxicia is more speficic.

ND refers to the term nurologicial diverse and that covers a lot of aspects - just beceuse somone is ND there mind connections may be compleatly diffrent to somone who is dyspraxic (still ND) but dosent have simmler conections in the mind.
I dont think a ND person has fuer connections as that dosent make sence as dyspraxicia is verry much a ND condition.
the term ND is charitisised by having a 'spiky' mental profile - some aspect you excell in (above avrage) while others are bellow avrage - thus creating anomilies or 'spikes' in your nurologicial profile.
The real Mr Potato Head
RaviMover
New member - welcome them!

Post by RaviMover »

Dishwasher wrote:Does anyone/research etc suggest that dyspraxia is the result of brain damage?

If anyone have damage of brain than i think he will be no more............
Dishwasher
Getting settled in

Post by Dishwasher »

could the extra connections in the brain have advantages,?
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

It would be good if they could. In reality though, having too many connections in the brain means that messages take longer to reach their destination, due to the pathways being longer and therefore less efficient. As a result, it often takes people with dyspraxia longer to do things because, instead of a message going straight from A to B, it goes down various other little pathways first.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Dishwasher wrote:could the extra connections in the brain have advantages,?
Yes there can be defunate advantages with creativitie, thinking diffrentely (i.e 'out of the box') and basickly the benerfits of being diffrent. - This can be seen a lot with people who are dyslexic but are verry creative and also with thoes who are dyspraxic.
The real Mr Potato Head
Adrastos
Getting settled in

Post by Adrastos »

a method of curing or at least improving dyspraxia was found by american and british astronauts after they came back from space they discovered astronauts where suffering same symptons as dyspraxia through tightening of the membrain, causing lack of blood flow to brain,

I have dyspraxia and also brain damage frontal lobe damage and essential tremor, ive always been told dyspraxia is genetic
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

The cause of dyspraxicia is not exaclty known but its not compleatly genetic - I belive its iver a companation of genetic factors and / or brain dammage caused by affexaction (lack of oxeygen to the brain).
Dyspraxicia can't be complealty genetic as there is 'aquired' dyspraxicia which is caused by affexaction so by this way it can occour to people later in life.

I don't get how improving the symptiopns of dyspraxicia can be improved by limeting the oxeygen flow to the brain - i think this will just make it worse as this is afexaction.

There was a documentery on a air crash that happend as the aircraft was not preshurised and all on board died of oxeygen starvation or the impact. Part of this documentery the presenter did a experment inside a presure chamber with a low amount of oxeygen - he was asked to do a number of 'simple' tasks with and without normal oxeygen.
Without the oxeygen the tasks were hard to do and was simmiler to somone with dyspraxicia but with it was easy for him.
This couldent continue for long - if this continued with low oxeygen then he could have had perment brain dammage.
The real Mr Potato Head
Adrastos
Getting settled in

Post by Adrastos »

I didn't say it improved by limiting oxygen to the brain astronauts where noticed to have smiler symptoms to dyspraxia when returning to earth there's programme which costs thousands which can relieve many dyspraxic symptoms, it mainly involves bouncing jumping catching,

these are the programms which are undertaken by astronauts when suffering smiler symptoms, believe there symptoms are caused by lack of gravity