Science Fiction

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Esioul
Power poster

Science Fiction

Post by Esioul »

Yes, I am a geek... I especially like DS9, firefly, Battlestar GAlactica...

A lot of people diss sci fi because they say its rubbish/no story/bad acting etc. In some cases that may be true, but but there's a lot of good, entertaining stuff out there.
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Oh yes, scifi acting is generally horrendous and should be listed as a crime against humanity.

Which is okay because without that aspect of it we would never have been offered the comic genius that is Galaxy Quest

The scripting of some scifi is absolutely fantastic though, I don't know where they got no plot from. Babylon-5 has plot arcs that take several series to complete, most contemporary series of any kind attract the kind of viewer that criticses any plot that goes on for more than a couple of episodes because they don't have the attention span.

Of course there are also some terrible plots out there, but that's okay because any bad scifi can be redeemed by claiming it helped cause GQ :P
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

I am enjoying the new series of doctor who at the moment :)
nick
Power poster

Post by nick »

i used to love sci fi as a kid and read and collected so many books. i also loved star trek with captain kirk but could not get into any of the recent star trek series. the kid inside me still wants to enjoy a good sci fi yarn but when i sit down to try and watch it, i find i have very little time for it.
Bear_ate_my_coffee
Getting settled in

Post by Bear_ate_my_coffee »

I love firefly. I got the whole series on and Serenity DVD. Although the reason I brought the series was because I'm a Joss Whedon fan and not so much to do with it being sci fi.

I also have some science fiction anime.
"I suppose society is wonderfully delightful. To be in it is merely a bore. But to be out of it simply a tragedy."
the play: A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I think there's room for sci-fi as there are many other genres. I think sci-fi gets a bad rap from a certain crowd because its fans are often visibly devotees to their show and for whatever reason sci-fi is regarded as somewhat nerdy. In my mind there's no difference between being a fan of a sci-fi series or watching some soap avidly three times a week. Why is one more in the real world than the other? Both portray people tackling varying situations, it's just that sci-fi is separated from the hum-drum of the every day.

I'm not one for hardcore fandom myself, but I've gone through phases of liking Battlestar Galactica (the original series - showing my vintage there!), ST:TNG (although I won't dream of watching it now), B5, and a number of others for periods.

Beyond sci-fi as others have mentioned there's the growing craze of Anime (I'm currently in Japan so am going to be looking out for it), Fantasy (LoTRs etc) the list goes on! They all have their appeal, and yes no doubt a degree of escapism, but is that really so bad? I mean it beats drugs doesn't it?
Mark Reynolds
Getting settled in

Post by Mark Reynolds »

It certainaly beats Big Brother. I find it amusing that many of the people who look down their noses at sci-fi fans will cheerfully watch a television show that is basically the modern equivalent of watching Roman gladiators hacking away at each other.
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

Not much of a sci fi fan- although I do LOVE doctor who!!! HANDS UP WHO FANCIES DAVID TENNANT??!! *shoves hand in air*
Goodbye, and have a pleasant tommorrow!!
I swear to drunk im not God.....
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Thems fighting words :P
Mr Eccleson was much better.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I've read on the BBC website this evening that Billie Piper will be leaving Dr Who at the end of the series.

This seems to be a major problem for the Beeb. I remember with Spooks they essentially lost the entire cast over the course of a couple of series. It's not always an irrecoverable position but it tends to require some often dodgy plots to work it all in and then there's the general disruption to the series as we get used to a new character. Now in the past Dr Who assistants have come and gone but I think never have they been so integral to the plots as has Billie Pipers. So where does Dr Who go from here?
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

I didn't hear that. Interesting news...I guess their best bet is to introduce a second assistant before she's off so that the changover is less dramatic.